1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Apple Hardware test

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by livefortoday6491, May 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. livefortoday6491

livefortoday6491 Thread Starter

I am trying to do a hardware test on my 2009 Mac Mini but when I start up holding the "R" key down nothing happens, it just boots up as normal. Please can anyone help please?

2. Headrush

Headrush

3. livefortoday6491

Thanks for the reply which has pointed me to Disk Utility which has speeded thing up to what it was before. I am puzzled that the use of the "R" key does not work.

4. Headrush

Headrush

What exactly are you puzzled about? That key never did anything.
    There is the Command + R key combo and the Option + Command + R key that start Recovery Mode and Internet Recovery Mode.

These may or may not work depending on what Mac you have and what version of OS X you have installed and how it was installed.

Only newer Macs have Internet Recovery capability and Recovery Mode started with OS X 10.7 I believe. If you had a system that came with that installed or you did a clean install, you should have a recovery partition. If you upgraded over time from 10.6 or lower you likely don't have the recovery partition. There are several free tools to recreate the recovery partition if you don't have it.

If you open Terminal and issue this:
    Code:
    diskutil list
    this will list your partitions and you'll see one labelled Recovery HD if you have it.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201314

5. livefortoday6491

Thanks for the info that has solved my problems.

6. livefortoday6491

I did a terminal test (see attachment) but I would like some help as to what they mean? It looks as if I have 3 partitions but can you tell me what "1" is and should I delete it and if so how please? I do not understand "0" line either could you please explain?

Attached Files:

7. Headrush

Headrush

That is completely normal and perfect. You do not want to delete anything.
    Without getting too technical, the EFI is just a small standard partition that is used by some systems.

8. livefortoday6491

Thanks that is a relief. Problem solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice