1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Applying Thermal Paste??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sharma7, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

Hey guys!
    Today I just got my CM Hyper 212 Plus.. I am unsure of how to properly install thermal paste. I've installed it before, but lately I've been seeing a lot of people doing it differently on youtube.
    Which way is better?
    1. Put in thermal paste and manually spread out the thermal paste with a credit card or something similar.
    2. Put in thermal paste and then put the cooler on and let the weight of the cooler spread out the paste.

I have an AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 @3ghz, and the rest of my specs can be seen by clicking the specs icon above..
    I'm going to use 99% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to remove my previous paste..

2. C141

C141

Personally I prefer to spread it on smoothly. I use a razor blade. Sort of like peanut butter on bread! Never had any luck with a plastic card or similar. I like to think my method is better as it leaves nearly nothing to chance as regards the coverage.

3. black-wolf

black-wolf

4. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.
    I'm questioning the reliability of the guide though. The writer likes the one with the most coverage, but I've always thought the main priority was to get the thermal paste covering the core (center). And he also sands the bottom of a CPU cooler, which is something I haven't heard a whole lot of. The writer doesn't make it clear which method would be the most favorable.

Will the simple pea method be good enough?? Or should I do the 2 line method for HDTs shown in the link?? I really don't want to sand my brand new cooler. Oh and don't be offended by this, it's just that I have lots of questions and I'm becoming clueless after seeing so many varied opinions.

I'm probably going to use Arctic Silver 5.. (or maybe the included cooler master paste)

This comparison says that you should not spread it yourself, and should use the pea method:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

5. black-wolf

black-wolf

Nobody uses silicon (the white stuff) unless they don't know better. The Hyper 212 is different because of the groves between the plate and the pipes. If I was going to do it again I would get the Hyper 212 Evo. I reset mine 3 times the method in the link I gave you worked the best for the Hyper 212+

6. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

Thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059830