Solved: Are anti-static wristbands necessary?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daskill

I'm about to install a new PSU, Graphics card and some memory in my computer. Do I need an anti-static wristband? I heard the chances of shorting anything are very small, is that true? How small? Any other tips?

Thanks.

crjdriver

I am not going to tell you not to use one however I never use a wrist strap.

This is what I do when working on a system;
1 Work on a hard surface ie do not build a system when standing on carpet moving your feet back and forth
2 Ground myself by touching a screw holding on a wall outlet. This removes static charge from your body
3 Use some common sense and do not grab parts by their contacts ie hold them by the pcb board

This is how I do builds however it is up to you as to how you want to proceed.

valis

I pretty much do the same as crjdriver stated; ground myself and use common sense. Haven't had any issues yet.

Daskill

I've heard you can ground yourself by touching the metal frame of the PC. Is that correct?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Only if it is plugged in.
I touch a radiator. If there is a carpet, I take my shoes off so I don't get a static build up.

It is really the MOS-FET's that are the problem. One static spark destroys them. They don't exist in all electronics, of course.

I go along with these guys except to add that humidity plays a big role. At least in Vermont, in the Winter when the air becomes very dry, static becomes a much bigger problem. I start getting shocks from everything, even my car. But this is never a problem in the Summer.

The point is that you want to be neutral relative to the PC that you are working on. Though discharging yourself to a ground, like a radiator, may help, that does not insure that you are at the same potential as the PC. Only grounding yourself to its chassis will insure that.

Touching the PSU is better than the frame. But as stated above... it needs to be plugged in. Quality standard PSUs have a master switch... so make sure its off. But this does you little good when swapping out the PSU, eh?

Common sense.

if possible work on the kitchen counter.

Sometimes I use straps... but they are more in the way than anything else and I'm not working on multi-million dollar technology.

I ground myself to the chassis... my four year old wears a wrist strap... Do what feels right to you, I have never fried anything... but if you are not comfortable without a strap, spend the $5 on one.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Have to agree with crjdriver and loserOlimbs. I'm in the Texas Panhandle, and just like Reno and Wichita, it's dry, dry, dry; so static is an everyday fact of life. Heck, I try to ground myself before I pet the cat! So long as the computer is plugged in to a properly grounded outlet, and you touch the chassis or power supply before digging into the guts of the machine you should be fine.

valis

Have to agree with crjdriver and loserOlimbs. I'm in the Texas Panhandle, and just like Reno and Wichita, it's dry, dry, dry; so static is an everyday fact of life. Heck, I try to ground myself before I pet the cat! So long as the computer is plugged in to a properly grounded outlet, and you touch the chassis or power supply before digging into the guts of the machine you should be fine.
THAT made me laugh..............my cat thinks you are a king, and has hereby issued a new proclamation regarding petting protocol.

thanks, snaggle................:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online