1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Are my vaio power adaptors compatible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrsGrey, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

I have a Sony Viao that uses power adaptor VGP-AC19v12. (19.5v output).I am about to have a new Vaio delivered, for which they recommend a VGP-AC19V30.CEL. Of course the new laptop will come with a power adaptor, but I need 2. Can I use the one I already have, assuming the connector is the same? The woman at Sony pre-sales says they are different voltages, and not interchangeable though they both say they are 19.5 volts... The newer adaptor is £109 from Sony,:eek: though I would go elsewhere:rolleyes:
    BTW, what does the CEL mean?

2. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

I just got the new laptop. It seems that the supplied power adaptor is a straight VGP-AC19v32. No CEL suffix. So the only difference lies in the final 32, when on the old adaptor it is 12. The connectors are the same.
    Anyone more techy than me know the answer?:confused:
    Thanks.

3. stevecook

stevecook

Check the output voltages and ampages are the same - if they are I'd say you're good to go.

4. MrsGrey

MrsGrey Thread Starter

Of course! How dumb am I! Yes they are the same at 19.5v 4.7A. Cool. Many thanks -- that has saved me a bit after this seriously extravagant purchase...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943706