1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Are there universal digital camera drivers?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by WishCard, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WishCard

WishCard Thread Starter

Are there universal digital camera drivers or is there a software to load that will protect me from probs (other than using restore) when installing drivers and such. I had one when I used win 98, I think I've seen similar for xp, but nothing for win me... With this software turned on, you were able to download things and even use them and then turn it off and it was like you didn't even make changes to the computer. I think I recall them saying it was like drawing on an overlay, the original isn't touched.

I just got my computer working again from trying to load Kodak drivers for dc290 on my windows ME. I tried it from the cd and from the net...

2. slipe

slipe

It has been my experience that with Win ME you must find a way to get the proper drivers installed for devices that require ME drivers. I have never encountered a program that will replace the drivers or make them easier to install. There might be a Cleansweep type of program that monitors driver installs so they can be completely removed.

Could you be more specific about the problems you are having installing the driver and how you are going about it? Does the camera show in Device Manager when it is plugged in and turned on? Under cameras in Control Panel? Have you tried to install the drivers from either of these? If you are using the new hardware wizard where is it going wrong?

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

4. wilson44512

wilson44512

5. WishCard

WishCard Thread Starter

6. WishCard

WishCard Thread Starter

Thank you all for your quick replies! It had problems before and I think given the problems that I (bandit and I actually) fixed on my puter, there were previous problems and/or conflicts on my computer. I tried to reinstall the drivers and woohoo all went fine except it kept asking me for a file which I just found in a cab file and pointed it to that. So I just got it all working happy again...

Thanks again

7. WishCard

WishCard Thread Starter

Oh and is it important to show in the scanners and cameras in the control panel? Because it doesn't show there, but it is showing in device manager. Also the cd has diagnostic and it shows printers in irq there that are no longer installed and I have deleted all mention of it in my registry and only have inf files left on my puter. I'm not sure but there is probably some driver that is left on it?

8. slipe

slipe

I have never seen a camera show up both in Cameras and Scanners and also in Device Manager. It seems they usually show up in one or the other but not both. Even if some do show up in both, your indication isn’t unusual.

Unless you have IRQ conflicts or problems I would just ignore the old printer taking an IRQ – especially if you are considering upgrading to XP. Your problems will disappear when you do that. My philosophy is to let sleeping dogs lie if everything is working OK. If you do have IRQ problems I would ask about it on the hardware forum.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I'm a little confused .. Which is my normal mental state.
    Anyway ...
    When you connect you Camera via USB ... Does it show up in "My Computer" ???
    If so .... This is all you need.

Just checked my Windows XP ... version Windows MCE.
    My Camera n Scanner Wizard can't see my new Sony ... But who cares ???
    It does show up in my "Device Manager" as a Disc Drive.

The same is true for my older HP Cameras and a Kodak that I had for a very short while.
    I have never loaded any Camera Software.

More Importantly ...
    It is accessable from "My Computer" ... Where it appears as a Disc Drive when connected and turned on.
    I can do everything I need from there.

Can you see your Camera in "My Computer" as a drive ... using your Windows ME ???

10. WishCard

WishCard Thread Starter

It shows in device manager and in My computer as a drive so alls ok :D

Thanks so much you guys! (y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/509160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice