1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Are these temperatures alright?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AliMadari, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

Hello,

My question is whether or not the following temperatures are okay when idling and when high load is put on my computer.

I idle at about 42 C and with heavy load, such as when playing a game, the temperature usually hangs around 55 C with a max of 57 C.

The reason I ask is because on Core Temp, it says TCase Max is 55 C and my computer does tend to shut off sometimes when playing games, so I was wondering if that was due to high temperatures, or if it is because of another reason.

EDIT: GPU stays around 82 C idle, 92 C in game/heavy load.

I have an AMD Athlon64 processor (don't laugh) and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card, 512 MB (also don't laugh). :p

Until I get my new computer, hopefully some time this month, I want to fix the problems with this one since I'm giving it to someone.

2. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

I have that processor too. lolz

Is your computer dusty and whatnot? That can increase temps. If you have thermal paste you might need to reapply it..

I am fairly sure a computer is not supposed to shut off randomly during a game.
    Some processors do that to make sure they don't overheat too much, saving them from being fried..

107.6 - 134.6 F huh o.o

something might be wrong with power supply if it shuts off? not sure about that myself

That's all I can think of at the moment; do you know if these things effect you?

3. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

57c is getting up there, but you really shouldn't worry too much if that's as high as it gets under full load. If it stays above 60 for any length of time I would begin to consider different cpu fans and whatnot. If it is shutting off though it almost has to be because of heat.

Do like UBZ suggested and clean the dust out (maybe if you're going to reapply that thermal paste you can get under the fan and get the dust out of the shaft area) Remember not to overdo it on the paste though.

Are you overclocking?

4. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

It was dusty but I cleaned it out with compressed air yesterday and it hasn't shut off like that since.

The GPU did in fact go up to 105 C while in game, which leads me to believe that it's the reason for shutting off to prevent damage. This is a really old computer (5+ years) so the power supply may be the problem because the graphics card was upgraded, maybe the power supply doesn't support it?

5. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

57 C is as high as the core gets, but I'm worried it's the GPU going over 100 C that's the problem. I was playing with a GPU temperature of 105 C and the computer didn't shut off so maybe under really heavy load it gets much hotter.

6. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

do you have a case fan in the front and the back? Really a 2600 shouldn't get to 100C. Also what wattage is the PSU?

7. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

I have a fan on the power supply and another once I think on the CPU.

I don't know the wattage in the PSU (this is a prebuilt) but it's probably really low.

The GPU drops from a ~105 C to ~85 C gradually when I get out of a game. The problem probably is that the power supply is not good enough for the graphics card, and what's even worse is I don't think the GPU has a fan. I'll check tomorrow, but I'm almost certain there's only a CPU fan (if that's the one staring right at you when you open the case from the side) and a power supply fan.

8. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

Yeah those are all pretty bad things. The GPU definitely needs a fan, and honestly you should have a case fan in the front pulling air in, and one in the back sending it out. I can't imagine a prebuilt PC without at least the fan in the back. post what you find out tomorrow.

9. UserBarZero

UserBarZero

Is there any way you can tell what the components are for your comp? Without looking inside it lol, I looked inside mine but the power supply was locked away with screws so I could not see it.

My comp was a handme down, but I finally found out what was inside it:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...s&dlc=en&lc=en&query=hp pavilion a1520n&tool=
    so I could upgrade my ram
    ^I am just saying that as a reference

Do you have anyway of finding out about your comp like I did? HP etc or is it built by someone personally? It would make anything you do with it easier I'm sure.

btw. you might try lower settings on your games/etc and see if it runs cooler

10. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

I'm running lowest settings on all. I have an Acer but it's such an old model that I can't find it online anywhere.

I really don't know where to look for the case fans so if someone could direct me it would be much appreciated.

11. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

I made this in paint real quick, it should look like the average computer from the side with the side off.

See where the purple Fans are on the sides? you should have 2 fans in similar area too.

Attached Files:

12. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for taking the time to make that drawing. :)

The fan on the left under the power supply I'm assuming is the fan that I can see through the back of my computer. There is also a fan to the right of the power supply that faces the side of the case (where there are many little holes for the air to get out). Those are the only 2 fans I can see.

13. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

can you take a picture of it or anything? Have you taken the side off?

14. AliMadari

AliMadari Thread Starter

I have taken the side off and all I could find were 2 fans, one with the power supply and one facing the side of the case. The GPU reached a peak of 111 C today in game and the computer did not shut off, however earlier it did shut off once but I was not monitoring the temperature at the time. Currently it's idling at 73 C.

These are with all settings turned all the way down and some settings disabled where possible in World of Warcraft.

15. oneSorcerer

oneSorcerer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!