1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Are windows 'important updates' necessary?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by corsac, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. corsac

corsac Thread Starter

Hi, I just restored my laptop to factory settings, windows update has now decided it wants to install 115 updates, 107 of which are 'important'. Is it necessary to install all of them? Can I get away with just getting the most recent ones? It wouldn't bother me but they will take an age to install and take up the best part of 1GB of disk space...

Thanks.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Yes, you should install them, for security and stability reasons.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have a slow internet connection, then bring it over to a friend's place that has a fast one. The updates are critical to maintaining security. And don't try surfing with internet explorer without the updates - you will regret it.

4. corsac

corsac Thread Starter

fair enough, thanks for the advice.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice