Solved: Argh! Boot to Windows Fails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rainforest123

Windows XP Pro SP1
Sempron 2800
768 MB
80 GB WD IDE

Things worked well until I connected a USB 2.0 Sony DVD burner [ owned by an associate ]. With PC & Sony burner turned off, I connected the Sony burner. Booted to Windows. Turned on Sony. Windows identified mass storage device & Sony burner. I re-started, and can't get beyond the Win XP Startup menu.

Suggestions other than FFR [ fdisk, format, re-install ] and booting with the CD [ yes, I have an official Microsoft Win XP SP1 disk ] to run the repair will be appreciated.

Also, I'm not interested in Linux, MAC or any other OS at this time. Soon, perhaps, but not tonight.

Sincerely,
B123

Many bugs were in SP1 for USB 2.0 and they were corrected in SP2, so I recommend you upgrade to SP2. When the drive is not connected does the PC boot? If it does try connecting the drive while the PC and Windows is running, which often works as well.

bd

Hi ,
I was going to suggest connecting with Windows running as Dan did . I have not installed sp2 yet either.

Bob

Reboot while tapping the F8 key, when prompted with a boot menu, choose
'Last known good configuration'

rainforest123

Respondents:
Thanks.

I cannot BOOT into WINDOWS. I apologize for not being sufficiently specific. "safe mode" fails. "last known good configuration" fails.

B123

beginner123 said:
Respondents:
Thanks.

I cannot BOOT into WINDOWS. I apologize for not being sufficiently specific. "safe mode" fails. "last known good configuration" fails.

B123
Understood that you couldn't boot to Windows but thought (Last known good) would be worth a shot.

Use the Recovery Console and the command line chkdsk /p Thats a space between the k and /.

If no luck it's time to run a repair.

How to Repair Windows XP

--

rainforest123

Please list this thread as "abandoned". chkdsk /p did not fix my problem. Re-format & re-install was my solution.

Thanks to each of you who responded. Unbidden, I learned a lot from you.

B123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online