1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Arrange icons by name

Discussion in 'Archive: Windows 95/98/Me' started by emgeast, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emgeast

emgeast Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 98SE and the past few days all my icons in folders are being sorted alphabetically, but from z to a (instead of a to z). I changed my folder options, arrange icons by name, view all folders like this one, etc.

This z to a sorting is even present inside programs like Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. when I go to file... open or save, etc.

I'm running extremely up to date virus software so I don't think that is the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike F.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mike
    Welcome to TSG!
    This problem certianly is not a common one, but here is the fix for it.

Note: If you have limited your items through msconfig startup make sure you jot down the ones you have unchecked before
    selecting selective startup in fix.

Fix for folders and files sorted backwards Z to A.

First off shut down any programs you may have running in the background. Go to Start\Run and type msconfig then click Selective Startup and uncheck the Load Startup group items. Click apply,click OK, and restart system.

Once Windows restarts double click My Computer go to View and then select Folder Options. Click on the View Tab and make sure the box "Remember each folders view settings" is checked. Then press OK.

Double click "C" drive and go to View and Arrange Icons by Name. All icons should now be sorted by name. Hold down the CTRL key and click the X in the upper right corner of the window to close it. This forces Windows to remember the setting. Now reopen C drive and see if your files are listed by name. Next select the first folder from C and open it. See if it is now arranged by name. If it is disregard next.
    If not go to View and click "Arrange icons by Name" then hold down the CTRL key when closing the folder to force it to remember the setting.
    Restart system.
    Use msconfig to check box Load Startup group items again so you will have them in the background once more click apply, click OK and restart.

Note: If you have TWEAKUI installed go to the Explorer Tab and make sure that the "Save Explorer windows settings" box is checked.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

3. emgeast

emgeast Thread Starter

Dave,

Thanks for the help. I just had a chance to implement your fix this morning. The only modification I had to make to your fix, was that I first had to click "details" in the folder view options, and click the "name" button to get the folders and files to sort from a to z (at first, clicking sort by name left everything z to a).

So far so good (knocking on wood). Thanks again.

Mike

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

emgeast
    Thanks for the additional comment on the Detail tab! Mine is always set to detail and I never deselected during my experiment. Made the approptiate changes in my notes!

Glad you got it sorted out:D (bad pun I know)!

We will consider this problem solved.

Have a good day!
    Thanks Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice