1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Arrange Sheets

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kolias, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Yesterday I was working on 2 different Excel worksheets and had them on my desktop arranged anyway I wanted individually. Today I opened the same worksheets but instead of being individual worksheets I now have an Excel empty screen and my 2 worksheets opens inside this worksheet and can arrange them as tiled, horizontally etc..

It’s nothing wrong with the above setup and perhaps I like it better but I was just wondering why this happened. I have tried all I know to have my 2 worksheets open individually as before but without success.
    The menu Windows/Arrange does not give me the option I want

How can I have 2 different worksheets opened at the same time?

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

You don't say what Operating System you have, but try right-clicking on any empty space on the task bar at the bottom of your computer screen. Do you have the option to "Undo Tile"?

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Sorry Wendy I thought Excel is not dependant on the OS

I run Vista Home Premium and when I’m in my desktop and right clicking on an empty space on the task bar I don’t have “Undo Tile” but I have “Undo Cascade, Show Windows Stacked, etc.”

Thank you

4. WendyM

You also don't say which version of Excel you're using. ;) It could be a feature of the OS or it could be a feature of Excel. For example, Office 2007 has an option to "View Side by Side" which may be turned on if that's what you're using.

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I'm using Excel 2002 SP3

6. WendyM

In Excel, go to Tools//Options/View. Is the checkbox for "Windows in Taskbar" checked or unchecked? Any difference if you change it?

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

When its checked I see the 2 files I work in the taskbar and again they both are inside an Excel window, when its unchecked I only see one file (the current) in the taskbar

8. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Before this problem started, I downloaded from www.free-financial-advice.net a budget calculator xls file.

Using this budget calculator as a template I created a new file “House Budget” where I wrote all my expenses (that is when I had both files side by side on my screen)

I noticed today that when I open the House Budget file it opens 2 files (House Budget.xls:1 and House Budget.xls:2

Never seen this before, any ideas why?

9. WendyM

Try selecting one of them and hitting ctrl+w. That should close just that one. Save the other one and reopen it. Any luck?

10. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Yes CTRL+W closed the one, but wondering why it does that; maybe a virus or something?

And regarding the windows problem any other idea why I cant have them like I did before?

11. WendyM

No, it's not a virus. It can happen if you go to Window/New Window from the menu. I suspect that whatever happened there is the same thing that's causing the problems with your file view, but it sounds like your Excel options for View are not making any difference. I'm not sure where it is in Vista, but in Windows XP, if you go to Windows Explorer and choose Tools/Folder Options and then the File Types tab, you can scroll down to XLS and clicked Advanced. There's a checkbox for "Browse in same window". Is that checked?

12. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thank you again, I dont have this option on Vista but I know what you mean

I suspected something is wrong along this line but cant find right know the "Files Type" on Vista. let me work on this and I will post back when I get something. An other alternative is to re install Excel but I wonder what trigger this problem in the first place

13. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I guess that I will have to give up on this subject

I could not find on Vista the files association; I found one but the option is what program is associate with an extension. Also I found another option which is to open each folder in its own window and this did not work either

Also I tried to re install Excel but the Office CD does not have the option to re install Excel only but rether to fix the existing installation or re install all the Office apps which I don’t want to do since it may change my settings in Word etc.

Thanks Wendy for your time anyway

14. WendyM

Sorry we couldn't resolve it, Kolias. If you come up with something that works, please post back and let us know. Thanks.

15. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I found a solution to my problem; what I wanted to do its called open Excel in two Instances

Searching the web, one post said to start Excel and then open a file, then start Excel AGAIN and open another file and it worked; now I have 2 independant Excel files which I can re size and locate on my desktop as I wish.

Although its a solution, I remember before I used to click on each Excel file from the Windows Explorer (I always work from Explorer) and each file was opening in its own instance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice