1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Arrow Keys...

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by RGregory, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RGregory

RGregory Thread Starter

I need to send the down arrow key (vbKeyDown) to Word to enter text into a graph on a page, but when I do a typetext vbKeyDown & "Message" the character code for the down arrow key (40) is displayed followed by "Message" (which is obviously not what I am trying to get) <G>.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi RGregory,

I don't know the hex value of any of the arrow keys (0x40 for the down arrow?) which you are trying to enter otherwise, what I do know is how to enter the symbol of an arrow key into a Word document which is quite easy. I don't know if this is what you are looking to do:

In the Word document, pull-down the Insert menu and select symbol then click on the arrow key of your choice which will be inserted at the current cursor location, and click the Insert button to do so.

-- Tom

P.S. decimal 40='(', octal 40='SP' i.e. a space, and hex 40='@'

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

I'm a little confused...it sounds like you want to insert a keypress event? That is, you want to use a key code constant to move the focus to a different part of the document? It's been forever since I worked with VB but I would imagine you'd have to handle that as a separate event. I might be pretty wrong about that.

HTH

chris.

4. RGregory

RGregory Thread Starter

I have a form I need to populate with data I retrieve from Access. This data has to go into a grid on a word document. There are a few items that need to be placed before the grid. Everything works fine until I get to the area of the document where the grid is. If I just use typetext to enter the data (using vbCrLf when going to another line), it will skip the grid entirely. I know I can get into the grid by pressing the down arrow key, but have been unable to send that character programmatically. When I look at the vb constant vbKeyDown I get...

asc(vbkeydown) = 52
    chr(vbkeydown) = (
    vbkeydown = 40

which explains (to a point) why I receive the 40 on the document. But this, unfortunately, does nothing to solve the problem <G>.

I believe the sendkeys method may do the trick, but haven't been able to try this yet (just popped back into my head as I was typing this reply :D )

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

This might not even be a problem anymore, but I was just going through my subscriptions and I started thinking about this again. If by "grid" you mean a Word table, that has to be an object. Well, not necessarily but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't. So you could check to see if the table object has any method that would allow you to select it or focus on it, and then put your data in it.

HTH

chris.

6. RGregory

RGregory Thread Starter

I am pretty sure it is an object (the grid), but have no idea how to go about selecting it from within access. I ended up changing the program so that Word is not used at all though. I just created an html form letter with a table to hold the data. Seems to work a LOT better that the older solution <G>. Plus the overhead of Word can be eliminated from the program altogether!
    I love it when a plan comes together <G>.

7. cristobal03

cristobal03

Well done, glad you got this resolved. You can mark this thread Solved by using the Thread Tools at the top of the window.

chris.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/395576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice