1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: asking price for used computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ebonyruffles, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles Thread Starter

I know second hand PCs aren't worth much but I don't know if it's worth $50 or $500? I have no idea what to ask for it. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure? Here's the specs: Intel P4 running @ 2.8 GHZ, XP Home, 512 MB memory, 160 GB hard drive, IntelPro 10/100 ethernet, CDRW drive, DVDROM drive, multimedia keyboard, optical mouse, 17" Samsung flat screen CRT monitor, 6 USB ports (2 front, 4 rear) plus a pile of software that isn't Vista-friendly. It's 3 years old, excellent condition, never had a problem with it.
    I don't want to "give it away" so to speak, or look like a fool by asking too much. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance...Sherry

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Replace any components? If no I would say $200. If yes to hard drive maybe $300.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

If the XP home comes with the original disk and some of the other software is decent then I'd probably say start at $300.00 maybe even $350. You can always come down in price but I wouldn't think that's trying to rip anyone off.

4. XSkylerX

XSkylerX

is the pentium 4 1mb L2 cache or HT?

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

3 yrs old, warranty doesn't xfer, so for a little more than $300, the buyer gets something newer/faster.

6. Flags

Flags

Make the buyer pay the freight for shipping to him.
    With the 17' Monitor and all the software, I'd ask $375-$400.

7. Wasper

Wasper

You have a solid, if dated, computer there.

With 2.8GHz, nice sized Hard Drive, 2 Optical drives, 17" LCD , mouse, keyboard and XP loaded....

I think that you should ask $375 and if you get offered down to $300 I would take it, but I wouldnt go much under that.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

I think it's a flat screen CRT Wasper but I still see it at $300.00 to $350.00 and drop it if necessary.

9. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

flags/wasper

if you needed/wanted this computer, would you really pay the prices you suggest as opposed to something new?

if you have a problem with software/hardware, licensed to someone else how do you resolve it on a 3 yr old computer?

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

bearone2, I'm curious, where do you find a complete PC and monitor with software for a little more than $300.00? Not arguing but really curious.

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

software that's registered to someone else doesn't help me and i don't want someone else's problem child.

not really an issue for me because any pc/laptop that i acquire buy purchase/giveaway/trade services for, i do a clean install, removing/creating partitions/formatting/installing form 98/se, 2k or xp, then apps i want/need, before anything else.

bottom line, i'd never pay $350 for any used machine.

12. dungeonguard

dungeonguard

Hi,

I saw a computer with similar specs on eBay going for about $300.

~Simon :)

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Deals on new systems come by all the time in the $350-400 range here, and they include an LCD monitor for that price. I think you're dreaming thinking you'll get $300 for a three year old system.

Deal News

Tech Bargains

More Stuff 4 Less

14. replay

replay

Ending Dell E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+ Desktop $419 shipped free - AMD X2 3600+ $339, Apr. 18

heres an example right here and u can buy a lcd monitor now for real cheap...so i wouldn't pay these prices for an old system either........

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

The E521 at Deal News is definitely a good bargain. I stand corrected. I didn't see the other link's machine but your point's made.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice