1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AspireONE Startup Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by komuroto, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

So I went to boot-up my AspireONE laptop today, and it seems to be stuck at the "microsoft corporation" loading screen.

Now I tried the following:

I tapped F2 at the acer logo, to make sure D2D recovery was enabled. I hit alt+F10(someone told me that on acerlaptops hitting F10 only is just fine - didnt work though) which brings up a "Edit Boot Option" which only has the option of submitting or Canceling, however it appears the screen did not finish typing out what it intended as the information is incomplete. (Neither option works)

So after powering down again,Tapped F8, tried booting normally, tried "startup repair", tried "safemode" , "safe mode with networking", "safemode with command prompt."

None of which worked.

Unfortunately, this computer has no disk drive for a CD recovery.

So I'm at an ends on what to do.

Any suggestions before I throw this junk into a wall?

/Windows 7, AspireONE laptop.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Run this and post the logs.

NOTE: Unless otherwise advised please use a clean working PC to download and copy FRST to a Flash Drive.
    Use these links to download the correct version for your operating system and save it to the Flash Drive.
    For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit
    For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit

NOTE: For Windows 7 systems only: If you cannot get Option 1 to work you can make a Recovery disc to use for Option 2.
    Just do this: Click on Start > Control Panel and select Backup and Restore. In the left hand pane select Create a System Recovery disc and follow the prompts.
    This can be done on any Windows 7 PC but it must have the same bit rate as the infected PC, i.e. 64 or 32bit.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options by using Option 1 or Option 2
    STEP 1
    Option 1
    To enter the System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select Repair your computer and hit the Enter key. If Repair your computer is not in the menu you will need to follow Option 2 below.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next. If you know your keyboard is for another language then select that from the list.
    • The system will scan for installed operating systems. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next. If there is only one user account this will go straight to the System Recovery Options.
    • Now go to the instructions for STEP 2.

Option 2
    To enter the System Recovery Options by using a Windows installation or Recovery disc:

• Insert the Installation or Recovery disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer. NOTE: This Option will be skipped if using a Recovery disc.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next. If you know your keyboard is for another language then select that from the list.
    • The system will scan for installed operating systems. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next. If there is only one user account this will go straight to the System Recovery Options.
    • Now go to the instructions for STEP 2.

NOTE: If you are unable to complete either Option 1 or 2 then stop and let me know. This tool will only run correctly if you are able to get to the System Recovery Options menu.

STEP 2
    On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The Notepad opens. Click on File and select Open.
    • Select Computer and find your flash drive below Devices with Removable Storage make a note of the drive letter and close Notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
      NOTE: if you receive an error message "the system cannot find the drive specified" go back into Notepad and check the drive letter for the Flash Drive, also note the letter can change on subsequent runs.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer. (This may not appear on all systems).
    • Press the Scan button. The progress bar may freeze for a while which is normal, leave it undisturbed and it will complete the scan.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Put the Flash drive back in a working PC, open Windows Explorer and then click on the Flash Drive. Double click on FRST.txt then Copy & Paste the log into your next reply. Please DO NOT send the log as an attachment.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When you access advanced boot options and select repair your computer and then from the next screen you select startup repair
    what please is the message = as that option provides not only the click for startup repair but also provides I think a report offering, but not always that helpful, details of what could not be fixed

Did it report fixing problems, although the computer still did not start, or did it simply report startup repair cannot fix this problem. If the first of those it is usually a good idea to run it again and see if it still reports fixing problems

That all said my colleague and I were clearly typing at the same time. So you now have two people helping

as you have said
    you may if startup repair does not work try cmd prompt and from there you will be on a prompt
    X:\Sources.
    THAT IS A RAM DRIVE SO IT IS NO USE DOING A CHKDSK ON THAT PROMPT
    Type
    C:
    key enter
    then at C type
    chkdsk /r
    key enter
    after it completes
    type
    exit
    and see how you are then

4. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

The laptop is a windows 7, the desktop that is working is an XP, will that be a problem?

5. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

If you would carefully read what I said before, selecting those options does absolutely nothing. Also if I come off as ignorant for this next question, I apologize, but is CMD prompt even useable from the start up process getting stuck on the "loading bar".... ????

6. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

Ok so I did the following, I downloaded 64bit, and put it on my flashdrive, then i plugged it into my laptop.

1. Tapped F8 on start up
    2. Selected Repair your computer
    3. It loads windows files
    4. microsoft loading screen shows
    5. Computer begins making beeping sounds I've never heard before
    6. Loads forever....and ever and ever, nothing happens still stuck on microsoft corp loading bar.
    The other option you provided is not viable as I have no CD/DVD drive.

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

You said in your opening post that you had tried Startup Repair which is in the System Recovery Options menu so I assumed you would be able to run FRST, clearly not.

The two most likely causes of this problem other than file corruption is a faulty hard drive or bad Memory.

I have a memory test that will run from a Flash Drive but nothing for testing the hard drive other than a boot CD. Is there any chance you can borrow an external CD/DVD drive to run further tests?

What do you use to make back ups of your important data?

Follow these instructions to run the test from a Flash Drive.

Download Memtest86+ from here
    If you wish to run the test from a USB flash drive use this link Auto installer for USB key

Testing

• Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set USB to 1st in the boot sequence.
    • Insert the Flash drive then reboot and it will load into dos.
    • Leave the test to run through at least 8 passes or until it is showing some errors.
    • If errors show in the test, stop the test and remove all but one of your RAM sticks then start the test again. Repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty.

NOTE: This is a long slow test and for convenience should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

8. Macboatmaster

komuroto

I will leave you with my good colleague
    However may I respectfully point out to you that I did read what you said on your first post, so when you say

unless I have misread it again, and if I have I apologise - my suggestion was a further stage to what you did

You said
    and I therefore asked you if you could kindly develop on startup repair - as when it runs, it sually provides a message, either reporting that it could not fix the problems or repairs were made etc.

I do appreciate that you had tried Safe Mode with cmd prompt - but again all you said was
    NONE of which worked - so I did not know if you even got into Safe Mode with cmd prompt or NOT

When you boot to advanced boot options on F8 and you then click repair your computer you should then be presented with the following - please see my screenshot

The first option is startup repair

The last option is cmd prompt and that cmd prompt is nothing to do with cmd prompt in safe mode it is roughly the equivalent of the recovery console in XP - although a lot more powerful.

So I think, with respect, unless as I said, I have still read it incorrectly, you may now accept that I did read it
    and to answer this particular point
    Yes it is as the cmd prompt loads from a temporary drive established in ram and is not reliant on the actual loading of windows.

Finally Good luck with it

Attached Files:

9. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

Again as I said from the start, "startup repair" does not work.

If it did, I don't believe I would be having this problem?

All of the options that my computer provided did not work, they would just get hung up on the "loading screen" for nearly an hour each.

10. Macboatmaster

OK just wanted mainly to re-assure YOU that I read your post
    Lets see if we can make some progress
    Firstly while I am trying to help please do NOT quote back to me my post, I know you are trying to be helpful but it is of no benefit

Accepting start up repair does not work
    on that window
    do you have cmd prompt as on my screenshot

11. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

Keeps saying BOOTMGR is missing, press any key to restart

12. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

I assume this is through F8 correct? If so I only have:

Repair Your Computer << doesn't work

SafeMode
    Safe Mode with Networking << doesn't work
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt << doesn't work

Enable Boot-Logging
    Enable low-resolution video
    Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) << doesn't work
    Directory Services Restore Mode << doesn't work
    Debugging Mode
    Disable automatic restart on system failure
    Disable Driver Signature Enforcements

Start Windows Normally

13. Macboatmaster

Click Repair your computer
    Now please of the options in my screenshot which do you have
    That is the image on my post 8

14. komuroto

komuroto Thread Starter

Yes I understand that, but what I am trying to convey is that when i click any of these options, including "repair your computer" This is what happens:

Windows file loading bar shows
    Loads entirely
    Microsoft Corp loading bar shows
    Then screen goes black as if it were about to properly start up
    Then Microsoft Corp loading bar reappears (shouldnt do this)
    Continues to do so indefinitely, even when left at the screen for hours.

I just reattempted this, and it I'm currently watching the bar loading, and loading, and still loading.

15. Macboatmaster

OK so you never ran startup repair then -because you never got past the repair your computer selection.
    If THAT is correct this is where the confusion has arisen

Lets go back to firstly my colleagues memtest - that error on the memtest on usb flash pen would on first indication mean that the boot files cannot be found on the usb pen

DO NOT BE ANNOYED but it is an easy mistake to make
    you did use the link
    http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip

and followed this procedure
    http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/how-to-test-memory-using-memtest86.113776/

see to usb flash

it could be that the flash pen itself will not boot that computer

it could be a problem itself on the computer which may be reinforced by the fact that you cannot get to repair your computer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!