1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Assign Drive Letter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aapp81, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aapp81

aapp81 Thread Starter

How can I PERMANENTLY assign a specific drive letter to my external drive?

On my Vista machine I used Disk Management to assign the letter M: to the drive, however, it only shows up as M: on that VIsta machine. It shows up as the next available letter on any other computer. Is there any way to make the letter (M: in my case) stick so that it shows up as M: on ALL computers. BTW, this is a 500GB drive w/ only 30GB free space so formatting is not not really possible at this time since I don't have any other disc this size to move the data temporarily.
    Thank you,

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The drive letter is always decided by the OS on the system, so you will need to assign that letter in each Windows OS you use.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

NT systems assign drive letters differently from the way DOS did. The drive letter is not an attribute of the drive itself, but a registry entry. As loserOlimbs said, each OS will have to assign its own letter, which you can assign to be the same as the original. But if you do that, it is likely that each machine will use the same letter next time if the device is not identical to any other that is attached to it. The identifying attribute is the volume name. In Vista, in fact, and probably all machines soon, the drive letter is optional and you do not need to display one at all for any drives.

4. aapp81

aapp81 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info fellas. I learned something new!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!