1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Asus A9250 Graphics Card Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DKTaber, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have a relatively old computer ('04 P4 3.0GHz with 1.5GHz RAM). It was custom built by Puget Custom Computers and came with a low-end MSI nVidia graphics card with only 64MB VRAM. It went belly-up about 10 days ago. I replaced it with an Asus A9250 with 128MB VRAM. The graphics are "by ATI Radeon", or so the box says.

Here's the problem. It seemed to install fine and I immediately updated the drivers for it from the Asus site. However, I have noticed two problems:

1. All video operations (scrolling thru a Word or Excel document, Web site, etc.) are very slow. Closing Excel workbooks also takes 4-5 sec. vs. used to be instant.
    2. Oddest thing I've ever seen: I produce many Word reports every year containing tables. I have always shaded the header rows in the tables indigo blue (very dark, but definitely blue) in which the font is bold white. When I now open some of these reports, the shading on the rows in every table has been changed to black. When I change it back to indigo, the text automatically changes to black, so I also have to change it back to white.

I went to the Asus site for tech support and it's essentially worthless. They don't provide a way to e-mail your problem and get a response. If I can't get this resolved within the next few days, I have no choice but to return the card to Newegg.

Help!

2. jackdw

jackdw

I sometimes get issues not unlike your first problem after I've updated drivers for my Saphire ATI x1600 pro. To fix it I usually just leave it and it will fix itself after a reboot or two.

As for the colour problem, I don't know. That is very strange...

Send it back if I were you and choose a better one. 128mb VRAM isn't very much these days. Try and get at least 256mb.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Actually I was advised by the assembler of the computer (Puget) to replace the failed card (which was only 64MB VRAM and was lightning fast at scrolling) with this specific one that has 2x that much VRAM. So I'm not sure the 256MB will do anything for me, but I think I will certainly return this one for something else if the problem doesn't go away after I reboot several times.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648058

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice