1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Asus EN8800gts 320mb overheatting?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sn0wBoArD3r3, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Sn0wBoArD3r3 Thread Starter

Ok, so recently I have built a new computer and I installed the 8800gts 320mb. I started testing this video card out by playing the game that was provided with the video card (Ghost Recon). The game and everything runs smoothly... however 10-20 minutes into the game, my computer just freezes. I then restarted my computer but when I got to my desktop, a blue screen appear saying that I have some uninstalled hardware. So I checked all my hardware and everything seems fine.. I attempt to start up my computer again.. but I got the same results. I then thought that maybe it was because my computer was overheatting so I left it alone for about 15 minutes and when I started up the computer, everything was fine. on my MSI DUO Core Center, my MB runs usually in the 30C's range. Then on my VGA, it ran around usually from 60-65 when I'm just using regular windows. I have never been able to check the video card temp when I play games sine it keeps freezing on me but I can assure you that it was HOT:mad: . I was wondering if there are any other ways to keep this card from running so hot (other than liquid cooling). I have to turn my fans up on the video card all the way to 99% to get it to run 53C when just browsing.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

And your psu is what brand and what wattage? How about the rest of your hardware too.

3. Sn0wBoArD3r3

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600
    PSU: MSI Turbo Stream Switching Power Supply 500W ATX 12v V2.2
    Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    Video card: Asus EN8800GTS
    RAM: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    Case: Thermaltake Soprano

4. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

you could use some arctic silver Ceramique or some other thermal grease. I used some of that stuff on my cpu and it dropped temps from 38 to 34C (idle) and 52 to 46C (load). Also the room temp is about 26C (little warm).

One other thought, I had a friend that had the back, and sides of his comp were 2-4" from the wall and other stuff on his desk. This made his comp run really hot b/c the hot air could not escape very well. If that is what is going on, move the comp away from other things so the air can move better.

I also have the same case as you do. I was wondering how hard it was to get that video card in there? I am starting to think about upgrading my video card.

5. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Well, I'm scared of dismantling the Video Card to put on some of the thermal grease. It's a really expensive card and I have no money for an extra one!

As for your other thought, yes I have considered that too but I have open ventilation, the side fan is even facing me.

It was my 1st time ever building a computer so everthing was a little hard to me. Haha. However, when installing the video card you really have to think about the placement of all your harddrives before putting in the video card. The video card length about the size of a dell keyboard from the "Esc"-F12" keys. The 8800gts is also very heavy.. I suggest you use some screws along with the locks that is provided in the case.

6. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

so the card can fit well, just move the hard drives out of the way, and thanks for the info.

one idea is to turn the AC on higher and see what that does. or put it under an AC vent (that should work well).

another idea is to take off the side of the case, and put a box fan next to it, and see how that works to drops some temps. It is an ugly, and noisy fix, but that might work.

I can't think of anything else right now.

7. tony oh

tony oh

I have that card and was using the asus smart doctor etc and my card was always hot.
    I then tried riva tuner and it manages to keep the card cooler.

I set it for about 80% fan speed on the desktop/ browsing and when I play games I just set it to 100%.
    After gaming I checked the temps and they were down in the low 50's.

You can set it to auto or select a range so it starts spinning faster at higher temps.
    But I found that the fan noise was really annoying when it kept going from say 80% to 100% as it crossed the temperature threshold I had set (60 C). Much less annoying was leaving it as I said before 100% when gaming.

Just curious how the card performs with the e6600 ... gonna buy one soon as I'm using it with a Penntium 4.

8. tony oh

tony oh

One other thing do you play Farcry or call of duty 2?
    In farcry I get the black square effect under a vehicle etc and in COD2 I can't enable AA or I get a gray screen when I start a mission... everything is still working I can hear he sounds and the mission has started but its all grayed out?

Cheers.

9. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Tony, can you please go over how you use your RivaTuner? I download it but I cannot make out a single thing it is saying!

I can't say much about the e6600 because I honestly don't know much about the processor. On top of that I have been getting constant crashes (alot of blue screens after start up)

And no I never played Fracry or COD2 sorry.

10. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Ok I just played Ghost Recon for about an hour this time before it crashed and according to smartdoctor, everything looks fine except I start smelling metal burning... Is this normal?

11. tony oh

tony oh

Err....I have never had the smell of burning ... that does not sound good.

I was the same I had to look for a tutorial on setting up rivatuner ... just google it as it's very long to get into here, try this:

http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner/ it tells you how to setup the fans.

For a quick setup to set the fan at a certain speed:

1. start rivatuner (lol.. just incase).

2. click on the symbol beside the top "customise" the one under the target adapter box

3. click on the first icon. It looks like a graphics card.

4. click the option to fixed fan.

5. choose the speed you want with the slider.

6. click apply. You should hear the fan speeding up now.

I then saved that setting named it games (there is a disk icon beside the trash can).
    Then when I know I'm gonna play games I just go to this page/part of rivatuner hit the down arrow beside where it says custom profile - and choose games, click apply and off I go.

Hope this helps ... but burning bad so make sure you sort it or else rma it.

12. Sn0wBoArD3r3

Ok, I found out why it was had a burning smell. It was because my friend set up the hyperdrive on the 8800gts and when I turned it off it worked fine. Only problem is that I occasionally crash on 3D games. I haven't tried any 2D games. My only problem other than the crashing is that I cannot connect to STEAM!

13. tony oh

tony oh

MMM... I can connect to Steam no problems ... so I can't really help!?!

Maybe you should start a new thread with this problem but I'd check out the nvidia forums or some 8800gts forums first.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice