1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Asus K55A wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by norfolkuk, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norfolkuk

norfolkuk Thread Starter

The laptop won't boot up and I can't get it into safe mode. All I have is a black screen with a cursor not a flashing one. There are no flashing lights either.

I've done all the battery removal, draining the battery etc and the F8 tapping but without any success. Nothing has been installed or altered. The laptop came with Windows 8 installed. The optical drive drawer will open - any suggestions?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like its just not booting the hard drive and hanging there, have you tried to boot a CD, DVD, or USB stick? Does the hard drive show up in the BIOS? Usually it's F2 to get into the BIOS. I'd download UBCD and test the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostics, UBCD has them all on there. The model of the hard drive should be listed in the BIOS. If the drive doesn't show up in the BIOS at all you may want to open the laptop up and remove and re-connect the drive an see if it works then. If the hard drive fails to be detected it may have died.

3. norfolkuk

norfolkuk Thread Starter

I used F2 and did get the BIOS but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I have listed what came up in the tab marked Main:

BIOS Vendor American Megatrends
    Version 404
    VBIOS 2132. I13N550.006
    EC version 204E120001

Processor info Intel(R) Celeron (R) C PU B820 @ 1.70GHz

Memory 6144 MB

Serial number C9N0AS036512364

I didnt go further than that at this stage and will await your further instructions. If I need to download the program you mentioned do I download it all or parts of it?

4. Blu_86

Blu_86

Try this_

* Unplug the power cord from laptop
    * Let the battery stay in the laptop
    * Try to start it up
    * If it doesn´t boot press and hold power button until laptop powers off, and continue pressing for 45 seconds
    * Press and hold power button until laptop powers on and off again and continue pressing for 45 sec
    * Try starting again
    * Repeat if necessary

5. norfolkuk

norfolkuk Thread Starter

Many thanks for your advice - it worked!! My wife's laptop is now up and running - well done and many thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice