1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI wont post to install bios,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by commonslug, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. commonslug

commonslug Thread Starter

ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI wont post to install bios, led comes on, fans startup, running a phenom II 9950 cpu. checked speaker(OK),pulled ram out no beep,checked board outside of case(NO CHANGE) ,cpu is seated properly, I read in another forum that a member had the same problem and had to buy a cheaper cpu to install the bios.Also I wore an anti static wrist band when building. If someone could help me I would appreciate it.

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

First of all, there's no Phenom II 9950...You probably mean the Phenom 9950. :)

When a processor isn't supported by your motherboard's BIOS then yes, it's possible that the computer won't boot at all. In that case you need a supported CPU in order to flash the BIOS.

But buying a CPU just for a BIOS flash is a bit exaggerated, don't you think? Just take the machine to a computer shop and ask them to flash the BIOS for you, it's going to cost less than buying a brand new processor. ;)

3. commonslug

Sorry AM2+ phenom 9950. I wasn't going to buy another proccesor for the fix. You're right about taking it to a computer shop to flash the bios. I wanted some kind of input on why it wont post considering that the proccesor should be supported., unless asus had an issue with that certain proccesor on that motherboard

4. commonslug

It turns out that the processor is not supported after days of trying to get through to asus. It turns out that the m3n ht deluxe will support the amd phenom 9950 but the m3n ht deluxe mempipe will not. I forgot to mention the mempipe in my post. so I will RMA the processor and get a phenom II 955 which is supported. Thanks for your assistance.

5. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Are you sure? :confused:

Here's the official CPU support list for your motherboard (typing M3N on the search field of the website will show you every M3N variant if you want to make sure :)):

http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=RgHWsXGQyHAG1n7Z

Both revisions of the Phenom 9950 are listed...

6. commonslug

If you go to asus support and click on cpu support in the search box type m3n,and then click on m3n-ht deluxe/mempipe it's an [unlisted processor]

7. commonslug

Also the header on those specs. just shows m3n- ht deluxe, no mempipe, it's written for the wrong board.

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I'm not sure, you are probably right...But have you tried updating the BIOS anyway?

Keep in mind that the board may behave the same way with the PII x4 955 installed. You will still have to update the BIOS in order for the 955 to work as it should.

9. commonslug

No I did not, It doesn't post. ASUS tech emailed me this morning and basically told me if the board doesn't post because of an out dated bios version that I will have to pull the bios chip and send it in for an updated Bios chip.

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

What the hell! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Even if the CMOS/BIOS chip is removable (which I doubt judging by the pictures of the board) that's unacceptable! Not for a company like Asus!

So, they didn't mention a "regular" BIOS update at all? Was replacing the chip their only suggestion?

I don't know what to say mate, if the BIOS just needs updating then there's no reason to remove the chip and send it back to Asus...

If the chip is bad then they are obliged to replace the whole board, not just the CMOS...

Just get to a computer shop and ask them to update the BIOS for you, anything else simply doesn't make sense...

11. commonslug

[They said if the bios chip is removeable] This is the email.Dear Valued Customer,

If you are experiencing a no post no video situation and the pc remains in a powered on state (Fans Spinning),

Follow these steps to determine the source of the problem.

Note: You will need a Chassis speaker connected to the motherboard to continue.

1. Verify that your processor is compatible through our website http://support.asus.com
    - Go to the support tab and select CPU Support
    - Enter the first 3 digits of your motherboard model number in the "Input model to search" area beneath the tab menu
    - Choose your Model number
    - Notice if your CPU model number is in the list and what BIOS version is required to run it.

*In Many cases if the Processor is relatively new the bios may be out of date which would render the processor unrecognized, which would cause a no post no video instance.

**If the processor requires a newer BIOS than the one potentially on your Motherboard, you can refer to your manual to find the bios chip location, if the chip on your motherboard has a brown or black frame around it with a hole in the upper left and bottom right corner of the chip (looks removable), we can send you a new bios chip with the updated Bios on it that you can use to replace the existing chip on your board.

2. If the Bios and Processor are compatible and up to date, perform the following steps to determine the failure.

- Remove all sticks of ram and turn pc on, Listen for Chassis Speaker Report.

A. 1 Long 2 Short Beeps, Proceed to step 3

B. If No Beeps, There may be a problem with either your memory, power supply unit or your motherboard, if you are certain that your memory and power supply are ok, then submitting an RMA for board repair would be the best next step.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/892796

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice