1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ASUS MoBo / CPU Fan Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guyzer, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    I just installed an ASUS M3A78-EM mobo and everything is working great except my CPU fan. ( AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ ) It's constantly running at 4770 rpm's and sounds like a 747 about to take off. I'm using the same cpu & fan setup that I had on my old board ( Acer crap ) and it was nice and quiet in there. I've checked the bios and see an area for the fans but there isn't any real adjustment I can make to slow and quieten the thing down as far as I know.

Anyone have any ideas. Hearing aids are expensive and I really don't want to use ear plugs.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The CPU is running at 32C with the present fan configeration

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    Howdie Leroy.......

Before I run out and spend a couple of bucks I would like to ensure there isn't something in the bios that I can change but overlooked.

I did some more rooting around in the bios power settings and found this...

CPU is presently running at 39C

CPU Fan settings...............
    " Fan Auto Mode Start Temp = 25C " *** I'm thinking this is the one that is causing my grief but am not sure ***

" Fan Auto Mode Full Speed = 55C "

Anyone know if these are set correctly? They are changeable in 1degree increments. The book that I got with the mobo doesn't tell me anything about this particular area as far as what settings to start off at. I believe these are the initial default settings.

4. ahk23456

ahk23456

was it the fan that came with the CPU? you just might need a new fan. a descent one costs around $15-$20. not too costly

5. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    It is the exact same fan I had placed upon the exact same CPU when it was very quiet and not running full blast as it seems to be doing now. Changing it from one mobo to another does not make for a noisy fan. It has to be a setting in the bios.

Is there anyone familiar with what I'm talking about and how to go about changing the settings?

6. paul_doo

paul_doo

Have you tried installing the "cool an quiet" software that comes with asus boards.

7. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    Hi Paul.

Everything has been installed.

8. Guyzer

Guyzer Thread Starter

First Name:
    Guy
    At 2 AM yesterday morning I couldn't sleep because of the stupid thing so I scoured the booklet that came with the mobo and discovered that the power plug for the CPU fan was 4 pin, not 3. It's amazing I didn't notice that when I connected the fan but I guess age is making my eyes a little fuzzy. The original CPU fan had a 3 wire connector. I purchased and installed a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro fan ( 4 pins ) / cooler assy , installed it and I can hear ants marching outside my office window now. It's great to have some peace and quiet again.

Just a footnote.... none of the shops in my local area had a 4 pin fan in stock. To order one in would have taken 2 - 3 days and cost about $20.00 +/-. The whole assy I purchased cost $33.00 cdn. Why would anyone do anything else?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!