1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ASUS Software Recovery CD problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by teasipaggie, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teasipaggie

teasipaggie Thread Starter

I have an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA that I have replaced and upgraded the internal HDD. I purchased the Software Recovery CD from ASUS estore to restore the original Win 7 along with a USB external CD/DVD drive. With external drive attached and Recovery CD in the drive, I booted the PC from the Recovery CD. Files were loaded, I went through the questions and selected install recovery software to entire, unpartitioned HDD. Message then read "Recovering system, please wait..." After a few minutes an ASUS Recovery CD/DVD message box popped up reading "Please insert the Recovery CD/DVD and then click OK!" I am unable to proceed past this point. Any ideas? I tried communicating with ASUS technical - what a joke! - and was told to request an RMA to send unit in to service center for service.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

3. teasipaggie

Negative. I am not going through the process of the recovery via the f9 key. I'm booting directly from the usb cd/dvd drive where the ASUS Software Recovery CD is located. 'Also, there is no "Boot Booster" option under the Boot tab of the Bios. The new HDD has no partitions and thus I selected the option to install the recovery software to the entire unpartitioned HDD when the recovery process so indicated.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Does "Negative" refer to
    or something else?

I am trying to help. I am sorry that you are having problems.

RF123

5. teasipaggie

No, the ASUS Recovery CD program does not indicate that it is looking for a particular drive. The recovery disc includes an image of the original licensed operating system installed on the HDD at the factory. It provides a comprehensive recovery solution that quickly restores the operating system to its original working state provided the HDD is in good working condition. To use, the Recovery CD is inserted into the USB optical drive. Restart the PC, hold the [Esc} on boot-up and select the optical drive from the Bios menu to boot from the Recovery CD. The boot process begins from the CD. Then select a partition option and click Next for the Partition options: (On certain Eee PC models it will just offer to restore the entire Windows image as a default option, If this is the case, just click on 'YES" to accept and recover the entire system. This was done and the screen indicates recovery process is underway. After several minutes, another message box pops up telling me to insert the Recovery CD and press OK. Unable to proceed beyond this point since the Recovery CD is clearly already in the USB drive. Thank you for your taking the time to offer help.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

You are welcome.

From what drive to what drive?
    Is 1 an SSD?
    How do the drives differ?

I've searched using these strings
    tutorial recovery media site:support.asus.com

"1005 " "Recovering system, please wait" site:support.asus.com

Here are the FAQ for your Asus device.
    http://support.asus.com/Knowledge.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee PC 1005HA&p=20&s=1

edit
    Try to install W7 to a partition that is < 90% of the HDD capacity.

end edit

RF123

7. teasipaggie

Sorry, but I do not understand your question. There is only one HDD in the Eee PC The original HDD died and I replaced it with a standard 2.5" SATA II HD of 320GB capacity. It is unpartitioned; new; directly out of the box into the PC. I am trying to install an image of the original OS (Windows 7 Starter Edition) from the ASUS Recovery Software CD purchased from the ASUS estore to match my Eee PC serial number. As I understand it, this should be a simple process of popping the Recovery CD into a USB drive, booting from this CD, making a few selections and allowing the recovery process to proceed. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

Is 1 of the HDDs an SSD?

What was the capacity / GB of the drive that died?

Yes, I understand that much. Woo Hoo! Some days are easier than others. :)
    RF123

9. teasipaggie

Neither HDD is/was an SSD. The original HDD was a Seagate 250GB. I am not aware of any difference in the drives other than brand and capacity. Sometimes it's like pulling hens' teeth, huh?????

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Are the rpms the same? What is the man date of the Seagate 250GB?

Is your HDD mentioned here?
    http://selectwd.wdc.com/235_LABS_Hard_Disks.pdf

A newer drive is likely to be larger because researchers have continually found ways to pack more KB [ or MB or GB ] per unit of the surface area. # of GB / in ^2. The # of platters in the HDDs is either 2 or 3, for the most park.

More RPMs means faster data access. There are aspects or elements of the electronics of the [ probably green printed circuit board on the bottom of the computer. Data access; that is, how long does it take to find the file [ data ] for the HDD to display the presence of the file. For example, when we left click on an icon, we are telling W7 [ which has control of the hardware at this time, to initate steps to cause the computer to do something; sinlg left click on the start orb in the lower left hand corner of the screen and a menu appears. Computers are expected to perform this action in a timely manner. Some of us have more pateince than others. So the best HDD you should be your decision. I am confident that the new HDDs from companies as WD & HGST will produce drives that will be better than your Samsung, if the WD' s warranty is longer than that of Samsung.

Here's some information on WD HDDs.
    http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/Flyer/ENG/2178-701024.pdf

And a similar document from Samsung.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/business/components/pdfs/1216_HDD_PGB_120.pdf

And from Hitachi.
    http://www.hgst.com/internal-hard-drives/desktop/

There are specifications you can compare. For example, seek time can be measured.

Best of success.

11. teasipaggie

The rpm's are the same; 5400. The new HDD is not mentioned in the article at http://selectwd.wdc.com/235_LABS_Hard_Disks.pdf, because it is not an external drive, which the article discusses. I don't have a Samsung HDD; I replaced the original Seagate with a new Western Digital. I have replaced many internal HDD's on other computers in the past and never had any problems with them, so I am skeptical that the problem is with the new Western Digital. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to deal with this.

12. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

13. teasipaggie

Johnebadbak, I used the partition wizard to format a 20GB partition but when I booted from the ASUS Software Recovery CD, it did not recognize the partition. I did have the option to have the ASUS software make such a partition, which I elected to do. and selected this partition to restore operating system to. However, I ended up with the same message, "Please insert Recovery CD" and press OK." I have attempted to reboot from the bootable Partition Wizard CD to further check out the HDD but am unable to boot from it for some reason. Any other thoughts?

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Have you considered a forum at ASUS? I have read your opinion re ASUS tech support.

Perhaps the disks you purchased are defective.

RF123

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!