1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Asus video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by natty, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natty

natty Thread Starter

Hi.

Iv'e replaced an old Asus ATI card with a new Asus Nvidia card.

The manual told me to remove old drivers using Add/Remove software

There are three items I found in the list

ATI display driver
    Nvidia display driver
    Asus display driver (don't know if this is ATI or Nvidia)

When I try to remove the ATI driver I get a message box saying
    ATI uninstall
    Error Initializing

Any advise appreciated.

Naka.

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening natty, leaving traces of video drivers in a database can cause problems and they are often not properly removed with add/remove programs.

Many manufacturers make driver removal tools available specifically for this purpose.
    Check-out this URL and you will see the tool mentioned.
    http://www.showshifter.com/support/cardati_aiwRadeon.htm

I don't know that this is the tool you might need, but it will give you an idea of a procedural method.

I like your thinking!

Cheers, qldit.

3. natty

natty Thread Starter

Thanks.

Found a program online called DH driver cleaner

Natty.

4. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Natty, Well done!
    When an alien device is installed for which no suitable driver is in the databank, it requires a software install of a new driver which is then placed both into the databank, and also to a windows folder for ordinary operational use.

When multiples of different but similar device drivers exist in the same system, it can cause confusion.
    This is why it is advantageous to follow the driver removal path.
    This is more important with video cards (graphic adapters) because of the spectacular conflict problems that can happen.

Some commercial all-purpose driver removal tools may not be specifically designed for different manufacturers software.
    You obviously are pretty cluey, so see how you manage.

The driver database contains many hundreds of different drivers which are available for most common eventualities.
    Most of these are dis-similar and will never be used and only take up small storage space so present no problem being left in the machine.
    Cheers, qldit.

5. natty

natty Thread Starter

QLDIT.

The prog I downloaded listed most of the main graphics names.

All the slooow boots, slooow mouse problems gone.

Thanks for the tip.

Natty.

6. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon Natty, thanks for the info, it is interesting to know all this stuff, the problem is trying to remember some of it! Especially with my poor brain!

I couldn't possibly admit I am more surprised than you the problem has cleared, especially when you mentioned the other circumstances.

The slow mouse movement and slow boot you mention is a bit of a worry.

That problem may also be caused by a viral thing or some kind of file error on the hard drive.

Don't trust just one A/V system, every so oten give another different one a run.
    Different malware is designed to cripple protection systems.

This program is a quick simple standalone A/V scanner for you to run, (have anywhere, it doesn't install) It is great for occasional confidence checking.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

This progam is pretty good for overall coverage with updates. It has different sections and works very well.
    http://www.free-av.com/antivirus/allinonen.html

Windows actually have a spyware scanner at long last. It is actually free!!
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en
    You may have to prove that your great grandmothers sister was female to get it though.

It may be worth considering these programs, you can always use them once and then dump them.
    Anything you may install, only uninstall with the add remove programs area in the control panel.

Cheers, qldit.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice