Solved: ATA and SATA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigShow

Is it possible to run a Sata drive and an Ata drive at the same time, I hope so becuase i just bought an ATA drive and havent the brightest idea how to ge the thing to run if anyone could help it would be wonderful.

Thanks

BigShow

Bah I couldnt tell you I mean I have a extra Ide slot, so I put it as my slave drive being the ATA hd I just bought, becuase the SATA drive is already in existance, is that any help?

Its a dell computer

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If your hardware supports both drives, it's certainly possible to run them together. I have two systems here that have SATA and IDE drives running.

a cable should have come with the new HD. try to find a plug on the motherboard that the cable would fit into. if u cant find one then the answer is no. however you can get an adapter to put into your PCI slot in order to make it work. make sure you have an empty slot or else you wont be able to put one in. some of those crap HP computers only have 3 pci slots.

BigShow

Just one question though, I have the SATA set up as my primary drive, ok then, the ATA drive I put as a slave drive, i Moved the jumpers and everything I put it on the gray Ide thing the second one, is this correct ?

If it is the only thing on that IDE controller and cable, you can set it as master and put it on the end of the cable. The SATA will still be the "C" drive. Before rebooting, you may want to remove the cable for your cd-roms. It will then put the new HD as the "D" drive. Shut down and hook the cd cable back up and it will assign drive letters to them in order after the HD's.

BigShow

Sweet, so do I need to install any type of driver for this or just formatt this drive like the link above stated? once I set it to master ide? I really mean if I do this it will automatically see the drive, then all I have to do is formatt the thing and bada bing bada boom,

ps thanks to everyone for helping this junior member :)

No drivers required. In the OS. Only caution is to make sure that you format the proper HD in disk management.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, many SATA connection will require drivers. Only the Intel chipset controller is included in XP, if there's any other kind of controller, you probably need drivers for the SATA drive.

BigShow

Well this is a IDE drive, I can not seem to get the computer to pick up the drive, I have it set as the master drive and the jumers are set correctly, however the drive is not being found atleast nothing i see is finding the drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online