1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ATI Hot Key Poller?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jimmy A, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

On my 6 year old Dell desktop PC there's a process called "ATI Hot Key Poller." Do I need this or could I stop it in msconfig?

On another forum a person said stopping that service made their laptop noticeably faster.

Thanks for all the help I've had here already.

2. stantley

stantley

Yes, there's a few others too.

In the ATI Catalyst Control Center - Hotkeys > uncheck 'Enable Hotkeys', Preferences > uncheck 'Enable System Tray Menu'.

Go to Start > Run and type in services.msc

Change ATI HotKey Poller to Disabled.
    Change ATI Smart to Manual.

Run Msconfig

Uncheck ATI CATALYST System Tray
    Uncheck ATIPTA

I'm not sure if your system will run faster, but I always like to turn off unnecessary startups and services.

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

All the ATI-related entries in the "Startup" tab can be unchecked.

All the ATI-related entries in the Services list can be set to Manual.

The same applies to NVIDIA-related entries.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. stantley

stantley

If you do that then, in addition to the ones I mentioned, ATICCC won't run at startup. So what happens is you won't be able to run ATI Catalyst Control Center. You can uncheck ATICCC, but then you have to manually run the program before you start Catalyst Control Center. I use Startup Control Panel to accomplish that task, if you use Msconfig you can open Command Prompt and issue the command:

"C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime

The problem with that is if you set ATI HotKey Poller to manual and then run Catalyst Control Center, ATI Smart will switch from manual to automatic. If you disable ATI HotKey Poller then ATI Smart will stay on manual.

5. flavallee

I only use the ATI display driver and make setting changes manually in the display properties settings window. I don't use the control center and all that other ATI-related crap.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. stantley

stantley

I occasionally use the Catalyst Control Center so that's why I have it configured the way I do.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Jimmy A needs to use the program or not.

7. flavallee

Yep, I agree. Let's see if he has a need for it. Most people don't.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. bbearren

bbearren

I use the CCC to set everything to "Application controlled", uncheck the system tray icon and uncheck the hot key poller. After that, I don't use it anymore.

9. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input here. I've never used my ATI control panel, though I have heard and seen that there is such a thing. All my graphics and my monitor have always worked well.
    How do I access the ATI Catalyst Control Center ?

10. stantley

stantley

On my system I can go to Start > All Programs > ATI Catalyst Control Center, or right-click on the Desktop.

Since your video card came with the Dell PC I'm not sure exactly what software came factory installed. Look in Add/Remove Programs and see what programs are in there that start with ATI.

11. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Yes, I have ATI Control Panel in "Add & Remove Programs." So, it is in there. But it's not there at the start menu "all programs." Any idea how I can access it? What would be some reasons to use it?

Well, I see some answers to these questions above from flavallee and bbearen.

12. stantley

stantley

Well I use ATI CCC because I have dual monitors plus I send the video to my TV, so I use it to switch things around. Gamers sometimes use it to tweak different settings for games. If you just use the basic settings like resolution and refresh rate you don't need it.

Right-click on the Desktop > Properties > Settings tab > Advanced, does it show up in there?

13. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Yes, that's it!

Lots of different tabs on that thing.

What tab is it to click or change something that turns off "Hot Key Poller"?

Le'me check the other posts above . Someone may have already answered that.

14. Jimmy A

Jimmy A Thread Starter

Yes, Stantley,
    You already answered that.

Thanks for all your help. I'll mark this one solved.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836672