Solved: atikmpag.sys BSOD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

N4rsh

Hi,

I am using a Radeon HD 6870 with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and I keep getting a BSOD whenever I run any application installed applications such as Catalyst Control Center or Google Chrome for example. I have tried uninstalling and systems restores and uninstalling both the drivers and the operating system. Also, this wasn't immediate, for the first couple of days, my computer functioned perfectly fine. Then, a blue screen, then a day or so later, what is happening now started happening.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Remove all ATI software from the machine. Use the ATI uninstaller in Add/Remove, or even use Driver Sweeper to be sure all the parts are removed.

Then, reboot and install the latest driver from AMD.

N4rsh

Hi, I finished unistalling everything and installing the latest drivers but I still have the same problem.

Do you get a blue screen? If so, what is the error at the bottom?

If it goes by too fast, go to Start > Run, and type:

sysdm.cpl

Under Advanced > Startup & Recovery > Settings, make sure that "Automatically Restart" in unchecked.

Let us know what the next screen says.

Also, if you can zip up the dump files in C:\Windows\minidump and attach them to your post, we can analyze them for you.

N4rsh

Sorry for taking so long,

The message that I'm getting is still
atikmpag.sys

I've attached the dumps files.

Attachments

OK. I'll analyze the dumps.

In the meantime, have you tried Safe Mode and do you get crashes there, too?

How about testing RAM (that was actually my first suspicion, but I'm trying to do this in logical order)?

If a removable card, remove it and reseat it to be sure it is properly connected. Check fans and for dust to be sure the device is staying cool.

============================================

Memtest86
MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
Roadkil's RAM Test
Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

N4rsh

Okay, so,

SafeMode - No Crashes
Reseated Video Card - Still Crashes
Checked for dust and made sure if adequate cooling
Removing Ram Testing each card individually - Still Crashes

Also, I'm running memtest86 right now.

You may be in luck. At least all the dumps were caused by the same driver:

On Thu 2011-12-08 00:39:29 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\windows\Minidump\120711-24304-01.dmp
uptime: 00:03:46
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl!TdrResetFromTimeout+0x214)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800D1F3010, 0xFFFFF8800433545C, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel

Try installing this DirectX package.

No matter whether that fails or succeeds, also run this web installer for DirectX Media Runtime.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online