1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ativa Router setup problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SIKboy101, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SIKboy101

SIKboy101 Thread Starter

Hi, I have recently moved to a new house in which I just got internet connected through Time Warner Cable. They gave me a Arris Cable modem in which I get get internet connections just fine through the Ethernet cable. When I try to setup my Ativa Router, I can never get Internet connected through it. It well let me setup up the security, name the network and even configure the router, but when it gets to the part when it checks for internet connectivity, it always says its not detecting internet connectivity. I've tried resetting it many times. I know the router works because I had it setup at my old house connected through a different time warner cable modem. I set it up with my aunts laptop which is running vista. I tried setting it up at my new house with my toshiba laptop running Vista Home Premium. I've looked at previous threads on the site with similar problems. I've an the ipconfig/all command, and this is what I got...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\CD>ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CD-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Ativa
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11bg 54Mbps
    USB 2.0 Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B6-48-E4-43
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Ativa
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-33-FF-D2-F0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f81d:3bdd:160b:c6d4%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:37:12 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 22, 2146 1:05:45 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234888755
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-7F-DD-17-00-1E-33-FF-D2-F0
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Tunnel adapter isatap.{64CF7481-15B6-4F16-BF41-478ED0FA22D3}:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Tunnel adapter isatap.Ativa:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
    C:\Users\CD>

Can anyone help me please? It'd be surely apprecitated ;D

2. warrior19

warrior19

What model of router? Is it this one http://www.ativasupport.com/product/?pid=AWGR54

You are using the ethernet cable that came with the modem correct? From the cable modem to the Modem port on the router.

Try a Factory Default Reset by pressing and holding the reset button for longer than 10 seconds.

Then attempt the install once again from scratch!

If you still have the CD that came with the router there is an 'Easy Install Wizard' you can run on your PC.

Or better still do a manual configuration using the manual page 23 onwards. For ISP choose Dynamic!

Download manual at http://www.ativasupport.com/product/?pid=AWGR54

3. SIKboy101

SIKboy101 Thread Starter

Yes, that is the correct model. I have tried a factory restore numerous times. I Use the CD to run the 'Easy Install Wizard' but I keep getting the same results. I have not tried the manual configuration yet, so I will try that once a I get back home.

4. warrior19

warrior19

Yes using the downloaded manual try the Manual Configuration steps on Page 24 from STEP 3 onwards as I assume you have everything connected ok.

If not start from STEP 1 earlier on page 22. You will need a second ethernet cable from your PC to any of ports 1 to 4 on the router. Connect the modem at the same time.

You will use your internet browser to access config screens for the router. Once in the menu screens. Check the top right INTERNET STATUS message to see if the connection is ok.

In the menu option on the left hand side under Internet WAN click on Connection Type and choose Dynamic. Click on DNS and choose/tick Automatic From ISP.

That should be basic enough to connect. You should not need to do anything with MAC ADDRESS, STATIC IP and PPPoE so leave these blank.

Unless Time Warner Cable tells you they need to see MAC Address and /or have set you up for Static IP? PPPoE should not be required as this is for DSL not Cable! If you have it working the Internet Status message should change. Click HOME in the menus top right to see the router status at anytime.

Let us know how you get on?

5. warrior19

warrior19

http://www.techsupportforum.com/net.../158167-resolved-router-setup-timewarner.html

Ok I might be on to something.

This person on website above mentions that Time Warner hard codes the MAC Address of the first device that connects. In this case the first device that has connected ok was the PC connected directly to Cable Modem. The MAC address for your Ethernet Card from your post is '00-1E-33-FF-D2-F0'. In the router config screen under Internet WAN Mac Address you would click CLONE COMPUTER'S MAC ADDRESS then APPLY CHANGES.

This might get the beast up and running :)

In summary setup router under Internet WAN for Dynamic, DNS Automatic, Mac Address Clone from PC.

6. SIKboy101

SIKboy101 Thread Starter

Okay, I will try this once I get home and post on the thread with results. Thanks a lot for you support and help ;D

7. SIKboy101

SIKboy101 Thread Starter

Ok, cloning the MAC Address seemed to work. Everything is working perfectly now. Thanks a lot, your assistance was surely appreciated

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!