Solved: Audacity, Vista, 64 bit, driver, or what?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alisonnos

I am lost!! I don't know whether I have an Audacity problem, a driver problem, a vista problem, a 64 bit computer problem.!! All of a sudden the sound disappeared from my computer. I thought maybe the sound drivers needed to be updated. I did this, then I downloaded driver robot to be sure that it was done correctly. I have played around with the preferences tab on audacity. I downloaded another audacity and then all the effects dissappeared in addition to no sound, although it was the same version. The sound came back but was very tinny. I had read that beta version was unstable, so downloaded an older version. Have bad sound, but can't seem to fix it. Where are the effects? They were automatically with Audacity before. I tried to download plug ins, and did, but where are they. It's been 3 weeks, and I am at a loss.:eek:

Ironically, using Driver Robot could very well be what is causing your problems. Automated programs that will install drivers for you rarely work.

Download the appropriate drivers (should be an MSI or EXE file) for your sound card and then just run that installer yourself. It should give you the option to uninstall. Do that first. Then restart your computer and run the installer again.

Alisonnos

I did it yesterday, but the restore points wouldn't show older than June, and by June it wasn't good, but restored anyway, and then a msg Unspecified error, so it won't restore properly. I have updated all the drivers. now the sound is back, crappy and high pitched. I have the same bit rates. i have changed the bit and sample rates. I have shut down the computer several times.

Hmmm... I'm running short on ideas.

Maybe I missed something but it is not clear to me whether your tinny sound is only in Audacity or whenever you have sound output from any program.

Are you by chance recording from a turntable? If that's the case take a look at this thread: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=479
They note that you can't plug a phonograph straight into your sound card. You need either a phono preamp or a special turntable (there are some USB models available)

Alisonnos

I finally fixed it!! As I had changed to a more stable version of Audacity, as opposed to beta, I finally changed the bit rate and sample rate...for some reason, on this version, I have to run the bit rate at 16 and 44100, as opposed to 32 bit float and 48000..if that makes any sense. I then had a hollow slight echo sound, which won't do for V O auditions, so I found realtek and adjusted the room to padded cell, and I also adjusted something else under preferences to 128, I believe, and unchecked a box saying enviroment??? It had these settings before with beta, no problem It's just been trial and error. I have a feeling all of this extra hassle is because Vista still has some kinks maybe?? Thank you. Maybe I can finally get some work done around here.

Alisonnos

Oh and before i changed the bit rates, as I had done so before, I didn't buy a registry cleaner, but used pro something to clean up some stuff for free - that might have helped too.

Hopefully it wasn't a registry "fixer"! Those kind of apps only do damage to your system. Never use a program to automatically repair your registry... because they will just cause problems down the road.

In any case I'm glad you have it working! :) Audacity is powerful enough that a few settings tweaked the wrong way could wreck your sound, I suppose!

Be sure to mark your thread as "solved".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts