1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Audio Card being uncooperative

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Afterthought, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Afterthought

Afterthought Thread Starter

sometimes (becoming increasingly more often) my computer doesnt read my audio card. which is a pain. its a fairly new audio card, less than 6 months old.

also my computer is plugged into a tv via a dvi-hdmi cable, and very occasionally the sound comes through that by pure chance, most often it doesnt though.

These are listed in device manager as Sound Blaster Audigy for the audio card and (im assuming) NVidia HDMI Audio Device for the tv. Ive tried disabling and reenabling both of them with no results. on the occasions when my computer doesnt read the card and claims there's no audio device, and additional "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" under "Other Devices" comes up on device manager.

have tried reinstalling the card, updating drivers etc via windows and from the official site for both.

restarting the computer usually makes it work, but as i say, its a pain and a problem i want to fix.

can anyone help me out?

thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does the sound work ok when you pull the card and use the onboard sound?

Just a thought however do you have all of the creative software installed? IMO the creative software package is flaky at best; I install just the driver I download from the creative site and NOT all of the other stuff.

3. Afterthought

yes sound comes through the telly when i pulled the card out, is a good temporary solution.

yh i installed the "recommended" full monty creative stuff because ive had problems in the past (separate creative sound card) where essentially creative doesnt like windows handling the audio. will uninstall the thing and reinstall only the essential drivers, let you know how it goes.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might also try a different pci slot or pci-e slot for the card when you reinstall.

5. Afterthought

turns out i left the install disk elsewhere so having to rely on windows to find the right driver. which works, until i next switch on, when it says the device isnt working and i have to uninstall it and reinstall it to make it work again. either that or it say sthe device is working properly when it blatantly isnt.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why do you need an install disk? Download the driver from the creative site.

7. Afterthought

thought i couldnt find it, was looking via uk site, found it on the worldwide one, will let you know how it goes.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055260