1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Audio Icon Disapeared

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Glennix1, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

This happens from time to time. My audio icon disappeared from the tray at the lower right corner of my computer and now I have no sound. To correct this before I would just to a system restore and I would get my audio icon and sound back. But, I do not want to do that this time for fear that I might loose some recent changes that have been made to my computer. If I click the "Sound and Audio Devices" icon in my control panel, under the volume tab is says no audio. What is happening?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Sounds like (no pun intended) that the audio drivers are being corrupted, thus doing a system restore would fix the problem.

Have you tried looking for either newer or older drivers?

3. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

I went to restore my computer as I had done in the past, but when I did, I found that the Restore feature had been turned off. When I turned it back on, there were no previous restore points. I had recently had my computer fixed by replacement of a malfunctioning video card. How do I down load a new driver? I have a Gateway Media Center 901.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Do you have the Serial number of that PC?

5. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

yes, 1100014312

6. bonk

bonk Banned

7. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

I did the Gateway Update. Followed instructions. In the Gateway Update window, Drivers and Applicable Recovery tab, there was listed "Sound, Video and Game Controllers". Indented to the right and underneath that is "Creative SB Audigy 2-". Status indicated installed. I went ahead and installed it anyway. I also checked the Web Updates Tab and downloaded and installed a Intel update that was under the System Devices icon. I rebooted my computer. Still the same situation. I have no Audio icon in the lower tray and and no sound. I ran through the process again and I noticed that under the Drivers and Application Recovery Tab, I now have two listings for "Creative SB Audigy 2-" headings. Both indicate installed.
    Further info: I went to the control panel, double clicked on the Sounds and Audio Devices Icon and noticed that on the Volume Tab, next to the picture of the speaker, it says "No Audio".

Any suggestions?

8. ~Candy~

Remove everything under sound and reboot.

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Also have you checked here.

Go to Control Panel and click on Sound & Audio Devices and makesure that Place a Icon on Taskbar is ticked.

10. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

AcaCandy, can you explain more? Remove everything under sound where?

11. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

Bonk, I see what you are talking about, but it wont let me place a tick there. Its greyed out.

12. ~Candy~

In the device manager, where you said you had sound devices......remove everything listed there and reboot. Windows should find new hardware and either install the correct drivers or prompt you to direct Windows to the driver location.

13. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

OK, Progress. I did as you said, removed all items under sound in my device manager. Some I could not remove. Rebooted. Everything I removed came back. I noticed that the Volume Tab under the Sound and Audio Device Icon in my control panel now listed SB Audigy Audio instead of "no device installed" and I was able to place a tick in the "place icon on task bar", which did just that. Now that my Audio Icon is back and I can control the volume bar, but still no sound. I double checked all my connections. Everything seems to be as it should, but I still do not get sound. What now?

14. bonk

bonk Banned

Try this for your sound Restore Sound - Windows Audio Service

Save this file to your Desktop then double click on it
    You will get a prompt do you want to merge this file say Yes.

Restart the PC and see

15. Glennix1

Glennix1 Thread Starter

Downloaded it and rebooted. No change. Still now sound.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice