1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Audio not working, pretty sure it is the Realtek drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystic54, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I recently installed my Creative sound card (with 5.1 support) on a motherboard that already has onboard audio.

I knew there would be a problem so I tried a couple of different approaches but nothing worked so far.

Going into the BIOS, I was able to disable the realtek 97 thing located in there. I didn't uninstall the realtek 97 driver though in add/remove programs. From there I installed the creative sound drivers with a cd I received.

I got no sound from doing that. I went into the Realtek console program once booted and I can do a sound test and hear noise from each speaker though, but if I go to listen to an mp3 for example, I hear no sound.

What steps should I take to play music through my better creative soundcard? Thanks!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The very first thing I would do would be to uninstall both the realtek and the creative drivers.
    Next run an app called driver cleaner [available from many sites] have DC remove any realtek and creative software.
    Now install just the creative driver NOT all of the other software that creative bundles with their cards. IMO the creative software often causes problems.

See if it works now.

3. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Your in luck. I have used that program before but didn't feel the need to install it yet on this new pc. I will try installing it later tonight when I get home. I think I will still try installing the creative suite though as it has some very helpful features.

4. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Well after disabling it in the BIOS and having it struggle after the initial driver setup. By that I mean the creative software (I had to have, will explain at the end). It told me a new media controller was found, which I just let it find automatically because without it, I couldn't access the creative software/suite.

Why I need the software is because, although I can hear sound form all the speakers in the tests and everything, the only way to get sound from all the speakers when playing music is to enable the option I have here in this picture.

[​IMG]

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad it worked for you; I will mark this as solved for you. For future reference, you can mark your own threads as solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

6. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Well it really isn't solved, that's why I didn't mark it myself. I guess I will open up a new topic concerning the picture I left.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have vista installed by chance?

8. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice