1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Audio only works at repairers workshop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paulcomputers, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paulcomputers

Paulcomputers Thread Starter

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi, I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this problem

We had our computer repaired and when we brought it home it had no sound and the video would freeze ie utube would load but only play the first second and freeze, we contacted the repairer and he got us to check a whole lot of stuff ie plug into green hole, mute not on etc etc after approx 40min on the phone he advised us to return it back to him to sort out. Now this is a desk top computer and he only ever wanted the tower no speakers OK after approx a week he contacted us and told us that there was nothing wrong with the computer and we were charge for an hour labour, when we picked up the computer he played some of our song files and a utube music clip and it was all working perfect!

When we got home and setup the computer with our speakers etc guess what exactly the same problem so I tested my speakers on my laptop - worked fine, I went next door and borrowed a set of speakers from there computer and they didn't work on my desk top but worked fine on my laptop. We contacted the repairer again and told him that there still wasn't sound at all and video freezing - his response "you saw it working at my workshop" my response - on your equipment not mine.:(

I have since rang the business from where we bought the computer 4 or 5 years ago and they think it's the sound card collapsed, when we rang the repairer back and asked could the sound card be faulty and that we had spoke with the shop who we bought it from, the repair guy got all defensive and told us to bring the computer back with our speakers.:rolleyes:
    I asked him if there is a problem would he refund the previous labour charge - No

So before we do anything more I have been asking this question around the world and seeing what people think

How is it that the repair guy when he has our computer and using his rquipment has sound and video but when we bring it home the sound doesn't work on any speakers,headphones etc
    The speakers we use all are 3.5mm plug type not USB type
    Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure its being plugged into the right jack? Most computers have multiple jacks but only one is for the speakers. The second suggestion would be to disconnect everything but the mouse, keyboard, monitor, and the speakers and then boot up the computer and see if the sound works. It could be something else connected tot he computer that causes the sound to cut out.

3. Paulcomputers

Yes both the repairer and shop took us thru the plug go into the green hole, no sound OK try blue....pink etc

That what the shop had us do just setup only basic machine with mouse,keyboard & screen, still nothing.

A few people on another forum think it is his speakers they have drivers:confused: in them or something like that

Thanks

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Only USB speakers would require drivers, regular analog speakers do not have drivers - its the sound card that has drivers and if they work there then they should be installed.

What version of Windows? Do you have any errors in Device Manager? What does it show in Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel? And is anything muted in the Volume Control?

5. Paulcomputers

Ok

Update a friend came over with his USB head phones and the sound and video worked but my speakers still didn't

Widows XP Home

The guy who carried out the repair told me that he had checked and updated all the drivers, he got me to check all those things ie mute, manager page thingy everything checked out Ok

So today this is how it stands if I plug anything into the green hole (pink and blue as well) no sound and utube and MPV freeze after starting but if we plug in a head set in the USB it all works!

My friend is not keen to play with my computer and I thinking of taking it back to the shop I bought it from.

Thanks

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Definitely, and have them check the system with the speakers.

I recently had a similar experience with a customer. Turned out it was either their USB hub or one of the devices they had plugged into that was causing the onboard Realtek sound to not work.

7. Paulcomputers

Update

I took the computer back to the shop that I bought it from along with my equipment speakers etc and they tested it out and believed it to be a sound card issue either drivers or the card, they installed a new sound card whiched worked fine on their equipment but when used on my equipment would only make buzzing noises, after more checking they found it was the cordless mouse (logitech) upsetting the sound card and when replace with a corded mouse - no problems so the cordless mouse is now sitting in my cardboard.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So thats another USB device causing an issue, odd. Glad you got it figured out though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice