1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Audio Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mikeb220, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

My sound randomly stopped working today.
    I turned on my laptop (from hibernation) and noticed that sounds weren't playing.
    I have tried fiddling with everything. I restarted the Windows Audio service, and checked everything having to do with my sound card and drivers, and it says there isn't any problems. I have rebooted my computer a few times, and tried remote restore, but it hasn't fixed it.
    I haven't seen any error messages.
    I looked in event viewer, and I can't find anything that has to do with Audio.
    When I mute the sound, I can hear the static buzz sound that my speakers make stop.
    If I unmute the microphone I can hear that work through the speakers, but I still can not play any sounds from my computer.
    When I record sound with Sound Recorder, it shows the wave forms as it plays, but all I hear in the speakers is the buzz that they make when they are turned up.

I can't think of anything that I may have done to change the Audio.

Thanks for any help.

2. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

I disabled the audio device and rebooted my computer.
    The sound seems to work now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice