1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Audio streaming w/o being connected to net

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BulletProof1, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BulletProof1

BulletProof1 Thread Starter

I was having a problem with audio streaming on my desktop computer w/o even being on the net. I was surfing the net earlier this morning with my Firefox browser (latest version, I have been using for awhile), when I got a warning from Avast that I was on an attack site....and it had taken me off it.

I luv Avast....always watching my butt...and protecting me!! Anyway, some time later I got a message from Internet Explorer that it wasn't my primary browser (you know the actual wording it uses)....did I want to correct that? ...Naturally, I said "no" cause I love Firefox too!

Maybe a half hour later or so, I started hearing audio coming in my speakers from a radio or TV station and I couldn't figure where it was coming from...or how to turn it off. Even as I sat on the desk top....I still heard audio streaming into my computer. I do have my own data line and operate on my own ethernet with my own network.

I even looked in task manager....and could see nothing active. I did go on net & back off again but audio kept streaming. It was broken up sometimes as I surfed around, but stayed on.

So, I did a Malwarebytes scan (which took about an hour & 23 minutes to complete). Did I mention I luv Malwarebytes too...lol. Malwarebytes found 11 infections (some trojans & other stuff). I had it remove them & put them in vault. Although Malwarebytes said there was 1 Windows.32.exe (can't remember exact name) file it couldn't remove. Then Malwarebytes restarted my computer & I don't hear anything from it. So, maybe problem is solved?

My questions to you is, should I worry about that 1 file Malwarebytes couldn't remove? I must leave soon, but I intend to do a full Avast scan when I get back home. Is there anything else I should do to be sure that I am still not infected by viruses? ...I will check back for suggestions when I get back.

My thanks in advance to all you great techno's here...I learned of Avast & Malwarebytes from you ppl. ....and it is a very rare occasion for me to ever get a virus. Or have my computer screw-up, because of a virus. I got on that darn attack site thru a link from another site....don't even know what the site was.

Keep up the great work....and everyone have a great day. :D

2. Dude044

Dude044

Hi Bulletproof I would do a full scan in safe mode personally

3. BulletProof1

Thanks for your advice...I will try scanning in safe mode as you suggested. I did a full scan in regular mode early this morning and Avast didn't find anything.

I started the scan by accident because I was trying to figure out how to get Avast to start scanning before Windows loaded. A friend told me I could select "Start scan @ reboot" but, I have the latest version of Avast and it doesn't seem to have this option? :confused:

I guess I will just try getting Avast working from safe mode manually. Avast is set to start scanning on start-up on this computer....but, it doesn't start until after Windows XP Professional has loaded.

By the way, I have used the computer for a number of hours now...and no more problems with the streaming audio. So, Malwarebytes must have fixed it. I will mark this thread solved after I get a chance to scan in safe mode. (y)

4. BulletProof1

I did a full scan using Avast in "safe mode" and it found no more infections.

I also did another scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode and it found no more infections.

However, I do have a question about the scan I did with Malwarebytes in safe mode. I used the "full scan" option that I used for the previous scan in "regular mode". It took Malwarebytes 1 hour 22 minutes to do the scan in regular mode.

When I used the full scan option in safe mode....Malwarebytes only took a little over 20 minutes to do the full scan. Is this because I had already scanned it before? ....Or, what would cause this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice