1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Auto Arrange Desktop Icons No Longer Works

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Sunny410, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunny410

Sunny410 Thread Starter

I have a user with Windows 7 OS. She had Auto Arrange icons turned off, as she prefers to keep her icons in a particular order and location on her desktop. Last week she got a trojan. We ran virus scans to remove. Since then, even though Auto Arrange is UNchecked, her icons rearrange each time she reboots. I tried checking it, rebooting, then unchecking it, but when I checked it and rebooted, it came back up unchecked, and with her icons all on the left. I have researched this for hours and I can only find 2 solutions - "uncheck auto arrange" (it IS unchecked), or install some kind of desktop icon manager (which we shouldn't have to do). Any ideas?

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Sunny,
    Have you tried unchecking "align icons to grid" as well? Sometimes that helps. If not, you might try creating another user profile to see if it has the same problem. Could be a corrupted file in the profile.

3. Sunny410

Sunny410 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, Wendy! Yes, I tried unchecking "align icons to grid" but it made no difference. Hoping to find an alternate solution to reprofiling her as it will take a lot of time to transfer all her data, but may have to resort to that. :(

4. WendyM

Hi Sunny,
    I'm never a fan of creating a new profile if I don't have to, but you might try creating an alternate one (or just renaming hers) just to test. If it works, then you know it's something about her profile and can troubleshoot from there. If it doesn't, you can blow away the new one and leave her existing one intact.

Another thing people have had success with is arranging the icons the way they want and then hitting refresh. It doesn't auto arrange again unless you move one of the icons.

5. Sunny410

Sunny410 Thread Starter

It was her profile. I logged in under another account and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much!

6. WendyM

No problem, glad it worked! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice