1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Automatic Log on problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DCM1519, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I tried to set up automatic logon for XP on my new computer but there is a problem that I cannot solve.

When the computer boots, it gets to a point before log in that says;

"Unable to log you on because of an account restriction".

Then when I click on OK, it proceeds to the page that has my account name.

I thought that disabling the "guest" account would solve this but it did not. I also removed the ASP.net account and that did not help either. No knowing if ASP.net was important, I reinstalled it. Nothing I do makes this message go away.

In looking at the account information, I do not see any way to edit it to restrict or unrestrict anything.

My other computer never had this problem and logs me on automatically every time. I am the only user so the logon is a waste of time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

AcaCandy

Thanks for the response. I downloaded and performed the operations described and it still gives the same message.

It shows my account and the "guest" account along with that message.

Thanks

4. ~Candy~

Remove Login Password

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required). Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

Have you tried that?

5. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I got to adminstrative tools but could find no "local security setings" to proceed. I tried the menu bar on the top and looked all over. Maybe it is because I have Windows XP Home.

Thanks

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required). Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

6. ~Candy~

7. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

AcaCandy

Your last solution was exactly right. Of the two choices, I chose the easy one "TweakUI" and it worked perfectly. The only change I had to make was that when I opened that tab, it showed "Adminstrator" as the "User Name". I typed in my name and hit enter on the password and now the computer logs on exactly the way I wanted.

Thanks for spending so much time in solving my problem. Without your help, I probably would have had this annoyance for months or years.

8. ~Candy~

Great. Glad to have helped, you can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu :)

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Sound like you accidently set the Administrator Account to AutoLogin instead of your normal user account. You will get that error if you try to do that on XP Home.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!