1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Automatic power off after POST bleep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spiers, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a P5N -E SLI motherboard and a Q6600 Quad processor.

The fan onto of the processor was making a noise for months and today i decided to try and fix it myself by reseating the processor fan.

It came off ok, but trying to put it back on was a nightmare. After 10 minutes struggling on my own i asked for help and both of us again struggled. Eventually we found on two of the four plastic clips had bent backwards and couldnt be pushed into the holes.

Two of the plastic bits were put back correctly and locked, so couldnt be moved. But two of the clips were not correctly locked due to the plastic being bent. The fan is flat and level and i turned the computer the right way up to test it.

Initially it turned on, made the horrible noise again, and then turned itself off after the POST beep. Now it doesnt make the horrible noise but still powers off after the initial POST beep. However the noise usually stopped after a few restarts so i doubt i have fixed the noise problem.

I think because the fan is not correctly seated the heat from the processor is getting to much and making the computer turn off, but im not quite sure.

I am going to try and fix it somehow, or buy a new heatsink/fan for the processor if it still doesnt turn on. Im not quite sure what to buy as i dont know much about hardware.

Anyone got anything i can try to fix the plastic clips?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yep, that would be the reason
    Did you also clean off the thermal paste and reapply a new thin film of thermal paste
    IF NOT
    Dont switch it on again until - you get the paste on and also the clips working - so that the fan is seated on the CPU correctly...
    youre in danger of burning out the CPU , if not already done

3. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

I tried twice turning it on, but wont again. What is this paste called, and where it is available. I live in the UK, will google it soon.
    I pressume this is ok?Paste

Im going to struggle with the clips, we were thinking of breaking the plastic bits off just so we can get it in the holes, it is quite bent and very difficult to get it.
    Might try squeezing the plastic together with tweezers or pliers before that though as breaking the clips seems extreme.

Any idea on how to fix the noise? that was the original problem and i just thought if i didnt fix it, my computer would eventually break.
    I waited till i handed in my assignment due in tomorrow before i messed with it just in case aha, but will need the computer working asap.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it may be worth just buying a new fan assembly for the CPU - not sure which you would need
    that paste should be OK
    But you need to clean the old stuff off - also you only need a very small amount and NOTE that the paste is conductive - so dont get it on the pins etc

have a search here for thermal paste and you will see recommendations from some of the experts who build a lot of PCs - I stopped building them a few years ago now.

perhaps upload a photo of the Fan and broken clips - so we can see what you mean

5. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Ive been reading into removing the paste and been told to use Isopropyl Alcohol from the chemist.
    Then using tissue/ kitchen roll to get it off.
    Saw a guy on youtube putting a tiny bit of paste on and using a card to spread it.

EDITED WITH PICS
    One pic is normal clip, one is bent, sorry about light.

Attached Files:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Yep, thats the way to remove the old paste - you used to be able to get lintfree pads with soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol - not sure if they exist - as you dont need much

Will have to see if some more knowledgable answers re the clips - at they part of the FAN assembly - if so I would get a new fan

the noise is probably worn bearings or dry bearings and the fan could stop working later anyway - so while you are going to all that trouble might as well replace

Not sure what country you are in?

7. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

The chemist near where my mum works have never heard of it, so will have to look elsewhere for the alcohol.
    Im in the United Kingdom

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, some thoughts;

1 If that was an original intel heatsink fan, it had a 3 year warranty so you could have had it replaced however they do not warrant the part when you break it attempting to install.

2 Just buy another heatsink fan and install it correctly. You need something like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Note I always recommend pulling the motherboard to replace a socket 775 type heatsink fan. This allows you to inspect the four push pins and make sure they are correctly seated.

10. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

The machine was bought off Ebay, so doubt it had any warranty etc.
    Instead of the heatsink you posted, would this be better? or is it the same lol
    Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Socket775 Cooler

The 92mm one you posted seems funny to me, the 775 one seems better because the Q6600 is a 775 socket or something? Im sorry if im wrong, just wanted to make sure before i buy, i cannot use newegg either because i like in the United Kingdom.

Thanks Etaf, i will try to get to Maplins tomorrow but the roads in the Uk are pretty icy and snowy, lot of cars just parked on the side of the road where i live.

Might save abit of time than buying online but tbh i cant see any place for buying a heatsink rather than online. I will check those sites, just need to know what size heatsink i need.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I dont know what heatsink fits - so wait for other posters to reply
    Most towns have a computer shop - who may have a fan - very expensive though , there are about four around me - Epsom Area
    yep, very snowy here , the adjoining road to mine was an ice rink so not be able to get out today...

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The one I posted fits socket 775, 1366, and 1156; check the specs. The one you linked to would be fine also.
    Just be sure you pull the mb to install the new hsf. Clean the cpu with either 99% or 91% alcohol; do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket. The new hsf will come with a thermal pad. You can use that or remove the pad and use arctic silver. FWIW I do not see any improvement using A/S so I would just use the pad that comes on the new hsf.

13. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Just a quick question about the heatsinks maximum cpu. The Q6600 is a 2.4ghz, but has 4 cores. Is a heatsink than can support 2.4ghz enough or do i need one that supports
    2.4*4= 9.6ghz?

What do you mean pull the MB? Other components are on the motherboard its just the fan that is broken.

Etaf posted a link to alcohol in his post, it does say in the comments it can be used on heatsinks etc.

Etaf, i went out today, i live in Sheffield/Rotherham and was ok, but if i put my foot down could tell it make the car unstable so it was icy.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Pull the mb means exactly what it says; remove the mb from the case. While it is possible to replace the hsf while in the case, you are asking for problems. When you pull the board, it allows you to inspect the push pins to be sure they are fully engaged AND you do not risk breaking a solder trace on the board.

15. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Sounds very difficult, especially with all the stuff already connected to it.
    How is it put back into the case?

So to conclude with the buying, was going to get these from Ebuyer.

Paste
    Heatsink
    That heatsink looks very funny lol, the clips look like they are in the wrong place, i hope it will fit in my case..

Also this from Maplin
    Isopropyl

You guys think that be it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice