1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Automatic power off on shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mwillshaw, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mwillshaw

mwillshaw Thread Starter

Hope this is the right category for this query.
    I have recently installed a new primary hard drive, to which I have installed windows 2K.
    Since doing this, rather than windows switching off the computer automatically at shutdown, I get the 'it is now safe to turn off your computer' screen and I have to switch off manually. I know this is only a minor niggle, but is there a quick solution that will get me back to automatic power off?'it is now safe to turn off your computer

2. brianF

brianF

moving to 2k forum

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

when it powers down its still on... the monitor is. Theres power til you turn the electricity off to it by pushing the monitor button.
    But you have a black screen while the light turns amber rather than green.
    If yours is showing the splash saying you can turn the monotor off now , then its hanging.

Try holding the shift key down while its shutting down. Let us know if it works or not

4. mwillshaw

mwillshaw Thread Starter

No, I just get the same screen. The monitor is not a problem, but the computer uesd to switch off completely along with fans etc. Could this be something in the BIOS that needs setting?:confused:

5. Dan O

Dan O

6. mwillshaw

mwillshaw Thread Starter

Just the ticket!
    I enabled APM and it works fine now.
    Thank you for your help:D :D :D

7. Dan O

Dan O

That's great news, thanks for sharing it. I will mark this thread solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice