Solved: Autoplay Solution -finally fixed-ymmv

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zon

My first post here ..
Well guys ,I have run into this problem a couple of times after removing viruses from computers...
Was it virus related ?I couldn't say for sure but the indications are there..

I think I may have found the long awaited solution to the autorun problem
that affects both xp and vista boxes --WITHOUT reinstalling..

Autoplay -some love it ,some hate it .
Sometimes it doesn't work when the customer wants it to.
I personally like it disabled ,but that's not the point..

Simple right ?
Just right click the drive in my computer and reenable/disable ,or download and use tweak UI,or uninstall and reinstall said hardware in device manager
or use group policy editor to enable/disable autorun

NOPE
None of this worked on my problem pcs,and I had felt like I had been beaten by a stupid ,simple problem.

Since the hardware was completely functional,my theory was that it might be a registry entry corrupted by the virus to prevent drive access .Finally I found what I believe to be the culprits,virus related or not..

Try this at your own risk ,but here is what I discovered to be the solution for me when all other avenues failed..

SOLUTION

1-start
2-run
3-regedit
4-navigate to and delete these 4 Dword entries (if present):
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] -NoDriveRun AND
NoDriveAutoRun
then
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
NoDriveRun AND
NoDriveAutoRun
(may be easier to use the search function and type "NoDrive")
5-log off and log back on
6-then use tweak UI/manual right click reset if necessary

Of course I tried it on another expendable pc as a guinea pig first (my wifes PC I built for her ) -lol.
For me it worked where nothing else did .

No errors or problems since -autoplay working on all drives and removable media

Good luck Gentlemen(and women)
Hope this helped in some way

_z

zon

Well-I certainly feel like an idiot-

I should have searched the forum first..
I was so happy to have found the solution I posted it in haste..

Looks like Phantom010 already solved this problem the EXACT same way I did back in June only for USB instead of DVD roms..

Oh well ,great minds think alike..

_z

dotty999

Dotty
Well-I certainly feel like an idiot-

I should have searched the forum first..
I was so happy to have found the solution I posted it in haste..

Looks like Phantom010 already solved this problem the EXACT same way I did back in June only for USB instead of DVD roms..

Oh well ,great minds think alike..

_z
the point is you worked it out and found the solution which is great! Thanks for sharing your findings here in order to help others, it's much appreciated :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online