1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Avanquest Fix It 12.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Aussie Pom, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aussie Pom

Aussie Pom Thread Starter

G'day,
    I have purchased Fix It !2. I down loaded it and the program would not work. I contacted their Tech Support. I have received a message below.

Please boot the computer to safe mode, now browse to C:program files\Avanquest\ rename the Fix it folder to OLD. Reboot the computer then delete the OLD folder. Reboot then go to the run command in Windows and type in regedit, look in the Registry for the following keys and delete them if present. Now run the install for 12.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5158974E-2D28-4018-9335-7694C2974746}]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{5158974E-2D28-4018-9335-7694C2974746}]

I did that but could not find those two files or where to find them.
    I responded with this message

G'day,
    I have tried this suggestion several times and still cannot find the files.
    Once I get to here (insert) what do I do next. Please talk me through
    this.
    Malcolm

The reply was.
    You navigate the registry the same way you would navigate the directory tree in Windows Explorer. Simply look for the key that corresponds with the ones in the email.

Please could somebody tell me how to do that in simple terms so that I can understand.
    Many thanks.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You were actually very lucky the program didn't work! Now get rid of it as fast as you can!

My advice is to stay as far away as you possibly can from Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... You'll only end up crippling programs and the operating system beyond repair! These programs are completely useless and will delete what they don't understand and legitimate files still in use.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows installation!

Why I Don’t Use Registry Cleaners

Registry Cleaners and System Tweaking Tools

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic347491.html/page__p__1932993

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/997274-registry-got-messed-up-advanced.html

3. Aussie Pom

G'day Phantom010,
    Thank you for your message.
    I have been using Avanquest Fix It the Anti Virus program for years. Until I updated to the new 12 addition I never had any problems. The program updated all the new viruses and kept my computer running well. I was under the impression that this was a very reputable company and was under the impression that the program was wildly used all over the world.
    Is there anybody that disagrees with Phantom 010.
    What in your opinion is the best anti program to have installed on your computers to maintain them and keep them from harmful viruses and malware.
    I will appreciate any comments(y)
    Cheers Aussie Pom

4. Phantom010

Just use the antivirus and don't mess with fixing "errors" the program may think it finds.

5. Aussie Pom

Hi again,
    That's the problem I down loaded the program but it will not install on my computer. Avanquest support said I had to delete those two files, that would solve the problem. I cannot find those two files even though I searched for hours. This is the rely that I just received from Avanquest. I am in Australia and do not want to phone the States.
    The best thing for you to do is call in and speak to a technician as I am not sure how I can be any more specific via email. You can reach us at the number below

6. Phantom010

You could replace it with much better free alternatives, like Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira Antivir, or Avast.

If you insist on keeping Avanquest, try installing the program in Safe Mode with Networking.

You'll need to first download SafeMSI to start the Windows Installer service in Safe Mode (with Networking). Run SafeMSI while in that mode. Then, try installing Avanquest again.

7. Aussie Pom

Hi again,
    I appreciate your help very much. I will try the things you have suggested later. I have been trying to fix computers instead of doing my work on the property. I promise I will keep you informed.
    Assie Pom

8. Phantom010

You're welcome!

9. Aussie Pom

G'day Phantom 101,
    I decided to take your advice I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my main Vista computer and it is scanning right now. Because I had to uninstall Fix it 11 Anti Virus before I could update to Fix It 12 I did not have any protection so I installed McFree. Please tell me should I continue leaving McFree installed as well or would I best uninstall it?
    Next problem.
    I also installed Fix It 12 on my Windows 7 computer. I have tried to remove the program using Control Panel. I receive this message.
    Windows Installer.
    The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact support personnel.
    Please could you tell me what to do as I also want to install Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 computer.
    Sorry if I am having two bites of the cherry I am certain you can help.
    Cheers Aussie Pom

10. Aussie Pom

Hi again Phantom 101,
    Please do not worry about the second request in my message. I did not realise that I was in Safe Mode. I have uninstalled Fix it 12 in my Windows 7 computer and I am about to install the Microsoft Security Essentials program. Once you have told me if I should keep McFree I will post the problem as solved and I really appreciate all your help.
    Thank you Aussie Pom

11. Phantom010

Never install more than one antivirus on a computer. So, uninstall McAfee and be sure to run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool. Besides, McAfee is not a very good choice...

As for the Windows Installer service error, remove Fix It while in Safe Mode with Networking after running SafeMSI.

12. Aussie Pom

G'day Phantom 101,Thank you for your reply. I am sorry but I do not understand what to do with the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool. I removed McFree with the normal Control Panel. I opened McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool
    Please tell me what I need to do, Down load something? What do I need to look for?
    Cheers Aussie Pom

13. Phantom010

Click HERE to download the McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.

14. Aussie Pom

Hi again Phantom 101,
    I have completed that so now all should be well. I sincerely thank you for your help. I can mark this problem as Solved.
    All the best, please keep up this great work that you do for us.
    Aussie Pom

15. Phantom010

You're welcome! (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice