1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Avast update problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ladysmith94, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ladysmith94

Ladysmith94 Thread Starter

A second computer in my home is having problems.
    Windows XP Professional is the OS.
    Avast antivirus fails to update. The error message is "connection terminated... retrying" It will do this for hours, until I finally cancel it. The same happens if it attempts to update automatically or if I select update now.
    I attempted to download AVG, but it failed to install. I also cannot delete or remove Avast. Internet explorer (IE 7) will only open on the home page. I have cleared all temporary internet files, cookies, etc. Ran the disk cleanup and
    What do I need to do to correct this? I fear there is something really major wrong with this computer.
    I would prefer to keep Avast, if it will work correctly.
    Thank you.

2. zbd21

zbd21

3. Ladysmith94

Thank you for your suggestion.
    That was tried first thing and did not help at all. We took it back 3 months - well before there were any issues.

4. dotty999

dotty999 Dotty

download the free Revo Uninstaller prog, only remove all files found that are bolded it will remove every last trace of Avast then download the latest version from here

5. Ladysmith94

Since I updated to the new version of Avast, it was necessary to download an uninstaller utility at avast before I could successfully install the new version of avast.
    I have the problems corrected now. There was an issue with the firewall. Thank you for your help.

6. dotty999

dotty999 Dotty

you're welcome :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902834