1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Avatar Cosmetics . . .

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by BobJam, Jul 14, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

This isn't really a "pressing" issue, it's more cosmetic than anything else, but I was wondering about this . . .

First, my avatar (an Arizona flag) is a bit "off". What I mean is that it is not all the way even with my screen name.

It was an animated .gif (68 X 50 px) that I uploaded from my own files on my machine.

When I saw that it was a bit skewed off, I decided to try to resize it, using my Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I resized it to 68 X 68 and uploaded that one, but it was still off.

So then I resized it again, to 78 X 50, and uploaded that, but again it still looked the same and was uneven a bit.

Finally, I decided I would really resize it - to 108 X 50 - and uploaded that, but again it STILL looked the same uneven avatar.

I think the "50" dimension is the one that is horizontal, so that's why I tried to resize the vertical dimension.

Anyway, the first question: How do I get the thing to appear even with my screen name?? As I said, this is only a cosmetic issue, and one I mess around with from time to time, but it's not pressing.

Secondly, I notice that some folks on here have animated avatars. When I uploaded the first original one, which was animated, it lost the animation.

Now resizing with Microsoft Office Picture Manager loses the animation effect when you do a "Save As", so I fully expected the resized ones to NOT be animated on this site.

But the very first unmodified one I uploaded - why didn't that keep the animation on the site??

So, the two questions:

1. How do I get my avatar to appear "even" with my screen name??

2. How do I keep the animation on my avatar??​

Again, not pressing issues, but the OCD in me wants to see these questions answered.

Oh . . . one more thing. I saw that size limits were 50 X 50. So I thought that perhaps that size limit was "cutting off" my avatar, no matter what I resized it to. So then I tried just making it 20% bigger, thinking that maybe this would make it even with my screen name (the file size still wasn't any where near the 20KB limit). Still no joy . . .

Oh . . . and another thing. I saw here where some folks recommended going to that free online .gif resizing and animation site. Is that my solution to these "pressing" questions??

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Avatar size is limited, the larger ones you upload are being automatically resized.

3. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

Yes, John, that's what I thought.

But still:

1. How do I get my avatar to appear "even" with my screen name??

2. How do I keep the animation on my avatar??

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

I think the "even" thing is in the forum code...

The animation part is on your end... post the original and I or someone will fix it...

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Can you attach the animated gif here ??
    Do you plan to donated to support TSG ??? .. This will give you a bigger Avatar... 65x65

6. JohnWill

It appears that many of the small avatars aren't aligned, probably nothing you're going to do about it. Here's a typical example.

Attached Files:

7. mcslimg

mcslimg

i like the way some forums automatically downsize any photo for you.

saves me the hassle of opening photoshop, and cropping, and downgrading quality, and grrrr etc...

8. JohnWill

I'd rather do my own photo editing. :)

9. mcslimg

mcslimg

see john, i like doing editing, but if its the same exact picture, but it just needs to be smaller, i dont like opening photoshop!!

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Looks like the avatars are bottom justified.
    If Poochee's was 65 pixels high ... It would probably align better.
    And 2 pixels could be cropped off the top ... before making 65 pixels tall.

I'm curious why John's fits so good at only 55 pixels tall

Attached Files:

11. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

NYOB and JohnWill are right, BobJam :)

Once you pay for membership, you're allowed the full space allowance for a larger 65 X 65 avatar and that will "even out" with your screen name. Notice how the smaller gifs (50 X 50 and smaller) don't fill the space? Once you've upgraded your membership, the animation will likely show up at that point as well as long as it's not too large an image file. The members here can help you re-size it to make it fit, if you attach the full size animated gif to your post reply.

Paid Membership Benefits :)

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. the bigger the animated gif the better ... Can do a better job downsizing.
    It just can't have too much detail ... the detail will get lost.
    Need to know if you have donated to support TSG so we know what size you can use.

13. MightyQueenC

MightyQueenC

I went to TSG's avatar section and found poochee's avatar and saved it. It's only 32 x 32 (248 bytes) so maybe that's it? :confused:

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Maybe Poochee would like this one .. at 65 x 61 tall

Attached Files:

15. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

OK . . . I think maybe I'm getting a little confused now.

Here's what confused me reading all these responses (btw, thanks averyone for trying to help me out - as you can see, I'm not real tech savvy when it comes to image editing and such):

According to MightyQueenC's post, the avatars from this site are only 32X32, and it looked like "poochie" was aligned better than my flag avatar - wait a minute, wait a minute . . . is the poochie avatar the one that shows for MightyQueenC?? If it is, then it looks like a "smaller" pixel size fits the screen aligned?? Or am I further misunderstanding this??​

Now the consensus seems to be that if one becomes a paying member of TSG, then one's avatar will line up. Do I have that right??

No, I have not donated to TSG, so I guess my avatar size is 50X50??? Do I have that part right???

I'm thinking about donating the $20 donation, but not because I want my avatar size to be 65X65 or any of the other "membership benefits", but because I definitely want this board to continue and thrive, and because of the excellent board members here who post such good help on all topics.

Anyway, back to my "cosmetic" question. I think I've attached my flag image so that you kind folks can "put" the animation back in it, but I'm not sure because my browser showed "Done, but with errors in page" when I was in the attachment page. Could that also be the size (the size of the animated flag is 8KB and according to Microsoft Office Picture Manager, it's 68X50)

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!