1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Avg Causing Desktop To Freeze???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by taketime, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

:confused: Besides being a lousy winter in Illinois, the last 2 days have been lousy computer days. All of a sudden the desktop freezes when I reboot and the only way to get out of it is to hit the button. Then hold CTRL, start in safe mode & try to figure out what is going on. Did MSCONFIG, startup & unticked everything except for the basics you suggest plus my AVG........still freezing up (but not in SAFE mode) so I untick all the AVG, restart & that SEEMED to solve it. Ran scandisk, defrag & Dr Watson(who is a quack in my opinion):D and since nothing seemed wrong, I reticked AVG:mad:. Figuring that my AVG got corrupted somehow, I uninstalled it and downloaded fresh. Still the same old, same old. I don't like running without antivirus but the only way I could get in here to suck up to the guys with the brains:eek: Windows 98SE, have lots of memory, I am too old to cope and short of throwing it out the window, I would like to get it running again without all this confusion. Any help will be appreciated. You guys are the best!
    Thanks
    Jan

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jan:

In the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab list, what entries do you have checked?

I haven't had a problem with AVG freezing up or bogging down any desktop that I've worked on or set up, no matter how old it is, so it's my guess there's another problem. What did you do with your desktop before the freezing problem started?

Frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. taketime

taketime Thread Starter

Thank you!! So far my computer hasn't locked up once since I uninstalled the AVG & installed Avast. It still seems strange because I have been using avg for quite a while, however I will go with the new one. PS I didn't do anything different with my desktop or my computer, one dday it just started locking up. Thanks to all helpers on Tech Guy!

5. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Great news!(y)

I must tell you I moved to Avast after facing a very similar problem with AVG, and haven't looked back.

Please use the Thread Tools to mark it solved.

Cheers,

Zee

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice