Solved: AVG conflict with XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mykeel159

I am running XP in an older cpu. Recently I had new (used) RAM installed after a crash. RAM was bad but system works fine now except for my free AVG, which has always worked well (daily auto scans). Now after only a minute or two into AVG scans they stop, my system reboots, makes me recover my active desktop, and a window says it has recovered from a serious error. I am unable to do any AVG scan, auto or manual. Thinking a complete uninstall and reinstall might work I tried that with no success. Is there some setting I can do to correct this? Hate to have to disconnect it all and drag it back to the tech shop....big hassle. My Superantispyware works as fine as it always has before and after so it is just an XP setting (??????????). Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Micheal

mykeel159

Thanks Jack! I had not previously heard of Avast. It was my initial mission "to fix" the AVG/XP issue, but hey. Following your suggestion I checked out some reviews of it and did not hesitate to download it for a spin. I've only done one whole system scan and a few miscellaneous files so far but it seems to work just fine. Of course I'll find out in the long run I suppose. It won't be my only anti-virus program. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online