1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AVG conflict with XP

Discussion in 'General Security' started by mykeel159, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mykeel159

mykeel159 Thread Starter

I am running XP in an older cpu. Recently I had new (used) RAM installed after a crash. RAM was bad but system works fine now except for my free AVG, which has always worked well (daily auto scans). Now after only a minute or two into AVG scans they stop, my system reboots, makes me recover my active desktop, and a window says it has recovered from a serious error. I am unable to do any AVG scan, auto or manual. Thinking a complete uninstall and reinstall might work I tried that with no success. Is there some setting I can do to correct this? Hate to have to disconnect it all and drag it back to the tech shop....big hassle. My Superantispyware works as fine as it always has before and after so it is just an XP setting (??????????). Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Micheal

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Ditch AVG and install Avast, its a much better AV proggy in my opinion

3. mykeel159

mykeel159 Thread Starter

Thanks Jack! I had not previously heard of Avast. It was my initial mission "to fix" the AVG/XP issue, but hey. Following your suggestion I checked out some reviews of it and did not hesitate to download it for a spin. I've only done one whole system scan and a few miscellaneous files so far but it seems to work just fine. Of course I'll find out in the long run I suppose. It won't be my only anti-virus program. Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice