Solved: AVG email scan problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

emdeekay

I have free AVG virus software (8.0) and I'm using Thunderbird for my email. Suddenly, my emails have no content... it has the header and subject but no message. I got on the Thunderbird forum and they confused me more than I was when I started.:confused: At the end, after telling me to compact folders and something about AVG certification, they told me that the problem is caused by AVG. What should I do??? Dump AVG? Dump Thunderbird? Please help!

Go to your ISP web site, and create new mail account.
Then, go back to Thunderbird, and set up that account under Tools>Account settings.

emdeekay

aaarrrrrggghhhh I've had this addy for years! If that's what it takes, I'll do it. Do you recommend that I still use AVG and T-bird after I've done that? Thanks

No, no. Don't worry about your old addy. We can revive it, if new account will work.
If new one will work, that only means, that the old one was really corrupt.
All you'll need to do in that case is to back up your mail, delete old account, and recreate it.

emdeekay

:eek: Guess what? I just used Outlook Express to open my email and it came through just fine. Does that negate the corrupt idea? (I turned off the email scanning in AVG.)

Hi emdeejay, STOP ! The first thing that needs to done is UNINSTALL AVG8. Clean AVG from program lists. Now REINSTALL AVG8 BUT do a 'custom install and UNCHECK email scanning' . Why - it seems the MS-MVPs from the MS ngs always recommend this because it is known to create the type of problems you are having and email scaning provides almost zero additional protection.

emdeekay

All Rightie then! Thanks. Will I turn email scanning back on after the download? ; or just go bare for email scanning? I understand that AVG 8 only scans email free for 30 days anyway (?).

Personally, I don't use email scanner, but I don't think this is your problem, since OE works fine.
I understand that AVG 8 only scans email free for 30 days anyway (?)
Never heard about it.

emdeekay

Thank you both very much. blkwlnt64's solution seems to have fixed it. Everything seems fine now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online