Solved: AVG Free antivirus forum

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GlenB

I know the product is free, but I found the support poor to say the least. It's the attitude more than anything, I (and many others, after looking again today) post for help and the same moderator simply lectures you on using the forum search facility and making sure you post in the right forum...yet help of a technical nature, in my case at least was never provided. The idea that I may have had a unique problem that had not already been discussed seemed too complex to grasp.. (n)

Are these common experiences with AVG free's support forum? Or have I just caught someone having a bad hair day? :cool:

I haven't had to use it, did you try posting your problem in All Other Software?

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
GlenB

There are enough AVG advocates and users on this site.

Just ignore the AVG one and post your problem, depending on the symptoms, in either the "All Other Software" or the XP or Win98 forums, depending on your OS.

Hulk701

Banned
GlenB said:
I know the product is free, but I found the support poor to say the least. It's the attitude more than anything, I (and many others, after looking again today) post for help and the same moderator simply lectures you on using the forum search facility and making sure you post in the right forum...yet help of a technical nature, in my case at least was never provided. The idea that I may have had a unique problem that had not already been discussed seemed too complex to grasp.. (n)

Are these common experiences with AVG free's support forum? Or have I just caught someone having a bad hair day? :cool:
I used AVG for about a year. I agree the product support is poor. And this was the PAID version. Now I use AVAST free version. Its just as good and product support is unnecessary.The only thing AVAST free doesn't do it scheduled Scans.(y) Product updates are always available and you don't have to wait like you do with AVG

I use to have AVG on my system, but found out it was a "resource hog" !! I now use AVAST free version also. No problems what so ever !!!(y)

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
GlenB said:

I think somehow you were visiting the AVG Forums,were you not ? the people who run that are nothing to do with AVG (Grisoft ) they are just a bunch of volunteers who run a forum about it ...but they do constantly keep reminding you of this as you have probably noted :D if you are using the free edition of AVG you cannot get support anyway,its a bit intimidating in there isnt it?:D you get the feeling they dont want you there and are standing over you with a big stick :D their communication skills are zero ....I get the feeling from reading their answers that these guys like showing a bit of authority,because in real life they have none :D ....you will get none of their attitude on this site,which is the friendliest on the net by far ...just post any questions on AVG here probably best in Security forum,and you will get plenty of replies ....take care (y) :)

dr911 said:
I use to have AVG on my system, but found out it was a "resource hog" !! I now use AVAST free version also. No problems what so ever !!!(y)
I actually found it to be fast and it doesn't use much resources.

I have never had a problem with AVG --and have loaded it on many machines --never needed Tech help, nor has anyone I know. Not the case with some others ! :eek: However , if a person buys the product , they should expect help from vendor should they need it.
As far as "resource hog" --I have never noticed a problem there. If there is one, and you don't see it ---is it really a problem?.
I am not sure that AVG is a hog, even in measured performance??? ---that stuff is numbers , and over my head. :eek: , I just know it works well , with few of the problems that others have.
I think a google search of problems with other vendors ---pretty much says it all. :) >f

Stoner

Banned
I've never had occasion to use the AVG forum.
I haven't noticed slow downs when scanning, but next scan I'll check memory usage.

dr911 said:
AVG a resource hog and avast not? NOT! I switched to avg because avast kept slowing down my comptuter, and that sickening spinning icon in the system tray, awful!

Maybe you were using a very old version, but avg now is super lite.

GlenB

Thanks for replies/advice (y) - I did eventually get help from a different moderator, the first moderator and his attitude problem seem to be the traditional forum 'welcome' for every new poster over there, but I got it sorted in the end.

For what it's worth I found the latest version of AVG free runs much lighter on my system than Avast home.

GlenB

softrain

4/16/07 Just ran across this thread and I have a LOT TO SAY about
AVG Free....But if its 'solved" does that mean its closed?
These are all old posts, so maybe you moved somewhere else? but
I can't tell where. Can someone leave me a note and tell me where
to go? (OK be nice now.):rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online