1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AVG Free: Email scanner Reports "Not Active"

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ALECK, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALECK

ALECK Thread Starter

Trouble seems to have started when I tried to reactivate my "HI5" Account. Had a lot of trouble With Emailed Links from them not working and freezing Outlook Express and then XP so that I had to crash out and reboot. Next I started getting Emails retrieved that came duplicated and were mails I had previously received and dealt with earlier. I did a complete computer scan with AVG and the following virus were found In C:/ drive root and duplicated in Windows32 folder.

rcvbm.exe - Packed.Monder.
    umoikchf.exe - Trojan - H_Spambot.W
    braviax.exe - Pack.Monder
    cru629.dat - Small

These were successfully dealt with by AGV putting them in the virus vault and later I deleted them. Incidentally when I was trying to re activate my HI5 A/c I got an error message from the OS: "rcvbm.exe failed to launch"

When the AVG console opend at the start of the scan I got a red Alert that my Email scanner was deactivated I cannot find any way to activate it or even find any sign of it anywhere in the programs under AVG folder. I written a full report in case anyone else has these symptoms.
    Hoping someone can help, Aleck

2. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

Have you re-installed AVG?

3. ALECK

ALECK Thread Starter

Yes did that and AVG ok now thanks. But??
    Every time I boot up the virus braviax.exe and cru29.dat re-appears and is caught by AVG.
    Outlook express is ok except that it grinds to a halt whenever I click on a link to a website in an email and I have to use task manager to end program.
    I later today received a response from microsoft, having sent error reports, It was interesting that the instruction was to insert original XP installation disc as some files in the os had been overwritten by another agency, the virus? the computer then automaticaly installed three files for windows and one for outlook and every thing is fine now after reboot. Isn't the internet and our computers just sometimes amazing!
    Thanks for your response anyway.
    Regards Aleck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice