1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AVG Internet Security 2011 Problems

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ScottFL386, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ScottFL386

ScottFL386 Thread Starter

Hello All:

I have AVG IS 2011 installed and I just started having problems with my system and I think it is this program causing it. I am trying to update and it never gets through the update process. It hangs when trying to install the downloaded update.

When trying to uninstall, the program will also remain in a REMOVING FILES status and never complete the unintall. Does anyone know how to uninstall this program?

I tried REVO UNINSTALLER and that did not correct the issue...

Scott

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You need to run the AVG Remover.

By the way, AVG doesn't behave well with Windows Defender. If you have it on your computer, disable Windows Defender.

3. ScottFL386

Hey Phantom...great to talk to you again and thanks...I got it uninstalled...

A quick question for you...I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed....do I need AVG, or is MSE good enough protection against virus's and spyware?

4. Phantom010

I would forget AVG ever existed and stick with Microsoft Security Essentials. :)

5. ScottFL386

LOL...guess that answers my question...but for the longest time I have heard that one program does not find everything...so to trust MSE and not have AVG installed....isn't that risky?

Do you know anything about MSE and do you use it?

6. Phantom010

Microsoft Security Essentials is a highly recommended antivirus on this forum. Never install more than one antivirus on a computer. They will fight each other, make your computer hang and even render it more vulnerable to malware.

You can download the free versions of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware as effective complements.

For extra protection against ActiveX-based spyware and other potentially unwanted programs as well as a lot of unwanted ads, you can add the free SpywareBlaster to your arsenal.

7. ScottFL386

Ok, great info...

Quick question regarding MSE....

I notice when I do a full scan, it can take hours and it scans EVERYTHING....If I do a quick scan, I am not sure if it does the entire "C" drive...

If I select CUSTOM, I can select the "C" drive, but I can not schedule this to run every night. So my question is, how do I set up MSE to scan the "C" drive only and to do that every night?

I do not see anywhere other than CUSTOM to select/deselect drives and with that you cannot schedule your nightly scanning...

Hope that makes sense...

8. Phantom010

You don't need to run scans every night, especially if you keep MSE's definitions updated. You already have real-time protection on it.

I don't have MSE on my computer so I'm not really familiar with the settings.

9. ScottFL386

ok, thanks for the great info.....

10. Phantom010

You're welcome!

Regards,

Phantom010 :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice