1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AVG questions

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by raffikki, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

I have just installed the free version of AVG after getting totally p!$$ed off with Norton.:eek:

After insalling AVG I notice that you can't scedule the scans for WEEKLY instead of DAILY, is there anyway to change this?

Is there anything else that I should pay attention too, or change?

I have changed it to scan "all files" instead of "infectable files", is that the right thing to do?

I also remember Norton blocking Worms while surfing the net, now that I am using AVG do I need to be worried that it won't block these types of threats?

Any info will be greatly appreciated :)

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi Avg free..will not allow you to schedule your own scans..
    You can scan all files or selected files..
    As far as I know Avg will pick up on any worms..Avg also have a program called Vcleaner which is a stand alone program..that dosen't run in the background..
    I use once a week just to be sure...

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/112/lng/us/tpl/tplo1

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"b": Thanks for the tip on "vcleaner." I have used AVG for along time with satisfaction.
    {redoak}

4. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply blues_harp28
    I will d/l vcleaner now, and like you sugest run it once a week :)

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi..rereading instruction..If a virus is found..you may have to reboot to safe mode and rename Vcleaner..(sounds strange i know)
    Anyway read all install information..;)

6. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

Hi again :)

Another question about AVG.
    I notice that it scans OUTgoing emails but NOT INCOMING ones :confused:
    Is this something that should concern me??

7. Rhynos

Rhynos

Hi Raffikki.
    I've used AVG and Zonealarm for some time now.
    To check if AVG is scanning Incoming mail, open AVG and click on Control Center.
    Click Email Scanner and click Configure.
    Under email scanning put a check against "incoming mail" and "certify mail".

AVG should now scan incoming mail.

8. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Rhynos :)
    I'm very embarassed to say that I wrote that last post wrong :eek:
    It does scan the incoming, but NOT the OUTGOING.
    I had a look where you told me and both INCOMING and OUTGOING are ticked to check AND certify :confused:

9. Rhynos

Rhynos

Hi Raffikki.

Can I ask how you know that it doesn't scan outgoing mail? My AVG works away in the background when sending out mail, but a small pop up appears when incoming mail is being downloaded that tells me AVG is checking it.
    On the Control Center within AVG, the Email Scanner "button" should say that Email scanner is fully functional. Is there an error message on this panel?
    If not, I would think that everything is working fine.

Failing all that, you could of course contact Grisoft who produce the software :)

PS. Thank's for Peter Andre !!!!!!:confused:

10. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

Hi Rhynos :)
    I assumed that it wasn't checking the outgoing mail because I didn't see the small pop up window that I saw when it checked the incoming mail.
    If it works in the background like you say, I guess I don't have any problems..lol

Thanks for to advice

Raffikki :)

11. Rhynos

Rhynos

No Probs.

I also thought of another way in which you can check, just to be sure. If the "certify mail" option is checked in the properties that we looked at previously, then your email should have a disclaimer on the bottom saying that it has been scanned with AVG. Your incoming mail should also have this disclaimer on all emails received (as AVG is scanning and certifying incoming mail).

Anyway, send an email to someone and ask them to reply to that email (making sure they keep your original message there). That email should have your original outgoing mail certified disclaimer.

Genius, eh?......ah, I'm not just a pretty face (as my mum used to say)

12. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

Brilliant idea Rhynos !!!
    I will do that now.

Raffikki :)

13. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

Well, I asked a friend to reply to my email without removing anything.
    The email I got back only had:

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.17/228 - Release Date: 12/01/2006

Nothing from his comp (which I don't know if or which antivirus program he has) and nothing saying it was scanned when I sent it to him :confused:

14. Rhynos

Rhynos

OK then, check this for me. (I think your SMTP server isn't activated)

Open AVG Control Center, and click on Email Scanner. Under the Plugins tab (Installed Plugins should read "Personal Email Scanner") Click on Properties

Click on the Servers tab and highlight SMTP (Does the server status say Disabled?) If so Click the Modify button.
    That opens up another window and right at the bottom check the box next to "Activate this server and use for sending / receiving e-mail".

Click OK, and then click OK on all the other windows that AVG opened. You should now get the disclaimer showing on your outgoing mail.
    (You'll need to send your friend another email!!!!! but write nice things about him/her on that email. It's always nice to receive those sorts of emails rather than the ones about cheap watches and cheap drugs!!!!!)

15. raffikki

raffikki Thread Starter

I followed your instructions and checked the box that says:
    "Activate this server and use for sending / receiving e-mail".
    It still doesn't show anything saying that the email was checked when I sent it. :confused:
    I then had a look in properties > configure > details > and noticed that at the bottom where it says: Language used for the outgoing mail certification test, was set to "Currently selected language" and I changed that to "English".
    That also did nothing.
    It all seems to be set to show the message that the outgoing emails are scanned, but the fact that they go so quickly really makes me wonder if they are getting checked.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice