1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: AVG says Spybot is infected?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Eroneous, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eroneous

Eroneous Thread Starter

Hi there! I'll get straight to it...

I began noticing that my computer was running much slower than it should so I decided I'd run the Spybot/AdAware/HijackThis triple threat, then ran AVG's scan. Downloader.turown.K and Downloader.turown.L were both found and cleaned successfully, but I also noticed that a few of Spybot S&D's .zip files showed to have viruses in them!

...\DownloadWare1.zip:\dw.exe ----- Downloader.Realtens.A
    ...\DownloadWare5.zip:\dw.exe ----- Downloader.Realtens.A
    ...\RapidBlaster10.zip:\activein.dll --- Downloader.Istbar.AY
    ...\RapidBlaster8.zip:\rb32.exe ------ Dialer
    ...\RapidBlaster9.zip:\rb32.exe ------ Dialer

I'm hoping that it's not actually infected. Is it a normal thing for these to show up like that? I know Ad-aware will show that certain aspects of Spybot S&D are spyware...any ideas? Should I try to clean them up (AVG was unable to clean them) and reinstall Spybot S&D?

Also, does Spybot 1.3 require that 1.1 be installed? They both show on the Add/Remove programs list but attempting to uninstall Spybot S&D 1.1 just takes me into the Advanced Options menu in Spybot S&D. Just wondering about that.

Thanks in advance!

-Eroneous

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I believe AVG is seeing those files in Spybot's "Recovery" folder. These are backups saved in case something needs to be restored.

You can delete them by right clicking on the list in the display window and selecting that option.

And no, earlier versions of Spybot do not need to be installed prior to the latest. In fact they are best removed first.

3. Eroneous

Eroneous Thread Starter

Thanks! I pretty well figured they weren't a threat, just wanted to make sure...can't beat peace of mind with a stick! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice