1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Avg/zone Alarm

Discussion in 'General Security' started by vicks, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

This am when I turned my computer on the AVG was sending up alerts of problems, all having something about ZA in them. It said they were trojans. When I went to the AVG virus vault there were, I estimate, about 100 items there. Has anyone else had this happen.
    A friend from Arizona phoned me and she had the same thing happen this am.
    At least if they were problems, we know AVG is doing its job of protection.
    Will appreciate any feed back.
    vicks

2. thomasjk

thomasjk

This is a false positive and has been corrected in the latest definitions update. Run AVG update and it should correct the problem.

3. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

Same exact thing happened to me in the afternoon of Oct. 13, 2008. AVG resident shield suddenly detected multiple trojan threats, all of which were files that are part of the Zone Alarm program. Before I knew it, they had been deleted and the firewall stopped working. Since this apparently happened to many people at the same time, I suspect that a zone alarm update caused AVG to detect the updated files as trojans. AVG is infamous for false-positives.

Anyway, I got things back to normal as far as I can tell. I just uninstalled zone alarm then downloaded it from the internet and re-installed it. So far, so good. No virus alerts, firewall is working properly.

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I think it was the other way around. A recent AVG update introduced the false positive detection of some ZoneAlarm DLLs and another AVG update was released to fix that problem.

On a side note, I think a post I made yesterday on the AVG free forum got deleted. If that was actually the case, I'm jumping off the AVG ship. (n)

Peace...

5. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

If that is indeed what happened, then is seems that AVG just keeps getting better every day. Anyone with me on that? I didn't think so. *sigh*

I've already been through this with Norton AV/security suite. It was great up until about 2002, then it started sucking big time. I think we can all see where AVG is headed, but at least the price was right while it lasted.

6. vicks

vicks Thread Starter

Today, I was unable to access the internet. While talking to my ISP I noticed that the ZA icon was not in the task bar.. Went to programs tried to open it.... no luck. SOOOO
    when I got of the phone with the tech person, I uninstalled ZA and reinstalled it... Bingo.
    Everything is up and working properly now.
    Vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice