1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Avoid 10 user limit with use of external network hard drive?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kimmer13, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

I understand with XP Pro, only 10 users can map to a specific network drive at a time (and 5 with XP Home). That count must be managed by the machine everyone is mapping to correct?

So it would be a non issue if you have an external network hard drive? (Not necessarily this model, but something along the lines of 500 GB 7200 RPM NetCenter by Western Digital.)

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I would ask to have this thread moved to the Networking part of the forum you would get better help there just click on the little triangle at the top right and ask a moderator to move this thread.

3. kimmer13

kimmer13 Thread Starter

i did as you suggested, thanks. i posted it in the xp forum because this was an xp specific issue - but it certainly pertains to the network as well, so whatever the moderator feels is appropriate is fine by me! thanks - kimmer

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Thread has been moved to the Networking forum with a redirect from the Windows XP forum.
    Good luck. :)

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

This issue is no longer the case because your connecting to the netcenter or other NAS device) the main thing to do before buying any NAS though is look at the user connection limits they may have as I have seen some with user limitations of their own (usually its number of accounts you can create for security thats the limitiing factor in the NAS).

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In addition, many of the NAS drives have very limited bandwidth, not nearly as fast as even an XP workstation. They're not really well suited for multiple users.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... only 10 users can map to a specific network drive at a time ..."

Is that true, or does the limit only occur in My Network Places and 'view workgroup computers'?

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yeah its true... but its 10 "active" users. If you have it mapped but inactive then you can get away with more users connecting. Its actually 10 concurrent connections.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You can have more than 10 concurrent connections. Tested this with three computers each having 5 simultaneous connections for a total of 15 concurrent connetions.

But you can't have more that 10 computers connecting at the same time. That is something different than the total amount of connections you can have.

Just thought of another way to maybe rephrase it. XP Pro does not have a 10 user limit since you can have the same users on all the computers and that would not solve the problem. It also doesn't have a 10 concurrent connection limit since you can have more than 10 concurrent connections at the same time. But what you can't have is more 10 than different computers connecting at the same time.

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Okay since you feel that this should be clarified I'll add on to yours a little bit more. I wrote my explination for TerryNet mainly assuming the picture would be clear I meant connections and not actual user accounts -

Windows XP Pro will not allow more than ten active concurrent server message block (SMB) connections to the Windows XP Pro computer.

SMB is defined as -

a protocol for sharing files, printers, serial ports, and communications abstractions such as named pipes and mail slots between computers.

If you want to know more about smb look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

Essentially if you have 3 people printing to a PC and 7 people looking at a file on the same PC and another one tries to virtually connect to the serial port then it is not going to work you have hit your limit of 10 concurrent active connections.

Now lets say the printing goes through and the PC then disconnects the active session then you can get the person connecting to the serial port and they can get on but now only 2 more people can print.

So this limit isn't purely just 10 people file sharing either.

I just wanted to make a side note that if you look at most any document from what I have read they indicate it as concurrent connection not active concurrent connection because the assumption is if your connected to a resource your going to be active on the resource. While this isn't always the case its the better of the 2 scenarios to put into print.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, If a computer disconnects it's network connection to the XP computer, it would not have a conccurrent connection.

But certainly wanted to clear up that it is not "10 "active" users". Again, it's not "people printing" or "people looking at a file", it's computers.

It has nothing to do with user limiit but with computer limit.

To put it simply, XP Pro can't have more than 10 concurrent connections from 10 computers at the same time.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks StumpedTechy and Bob. Pretty sure I understand, but let me state a specific example that somebody I know may want to do. And, kimmer13, don't be afraid to redirect us back to your specific concerns!

18 laptops running XP Pro SP2 connected via wireless to a router (no internet access). Name the laptops L1, L2, ..., L18. L18 has 17 folders (F1, F2, ..., F17) on the C: drive, each shared with network write permission.

Each of the L1 through L17 laptops wants to map a network drive to a specific folder--L1 will map Z to F1 on L18, ..., L17 will map Z to F17 on L18. At the end of a session each will make a one-time write to the mapped folder.

If I really understood your explanations correctly, only 10 of these mapped drive connections will be accepted, the 11th through 17th will fail. But after one of the first 10 laptops disconnects its mapped drive, then another can successfully connect. Right?

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That is correct. Only 10 computers can connect to that one with the shared folders at the same time.

I wanted to clarify that it has nothing to do with a user limit as was posted but with a concurrent computer connection limit.

---

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There's always the option of a Linux based server, no connection limits there. :)

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Neither does Win95, Win98 or ME. Not sure they would be such good alternatives either.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice